A fire that caused $100,000 worth of damage to Geno’s restaurant and nearby low-income housing started outside the building, officials said Monday.
The investigation into the Saturday afternoon fire that displaced at least 14 residents at the Sinto Apartments, 907 E. Sinto Ave., is continuing.
Natural gas meters between the restaurant and apartment building fueled the fire. No one was hurt.
Investigators have not ruled out arson. Geno’s sustained smoke and water damage. Damage to the apartment building was concentrated on the second floor and roof.
Spokane Neighborhood Action Programs is helping displaced people find new housing, spokeswoman Tricia Webster said. SNAP is asking for donations of gently used household items to The Spokane Community Warehouse at 919 E. Trent Ave. to help victims.
Valley CHAS robbed; suspect escapes
The Spokane Valley CHAS clinic at 924 S. Pines Road was robbed Monday morning.
A man wearing a hoodie and a surgical mask from the clinic’s waiting room approached the pharmacy around 10 a.m. and showed a gun, said Spokane County Deputy Craig Chamberlin. He passed a note to an employee demanding drugs.
The robber escaped. No one was injured.
The clinic moved a few appointments due to the robbery, then reopened early in the afternoon.
The suspect is a white man in his 20s with short, brown hair.
Rollover accident kills woman near St. Maries
A 78-year-old woman was killed Sunday in a one-vehicle rollover accident near St. Maries.
Margaret L. Dutton was driving north on State Highway 3 about 2 miles from St. Maries just after 3 p.m. when she failed to navigate a left-hand curve and drove off the road, according to the Idaho State Police.
Her Honda Passport struck an embankment and trees on the side of the highway, flipping and coming to rest on its top.
Dutton was taken to Kootenai Medical Center. She was wearing a seat belt and was the only person in the vehicle, according to a news release.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.