June 28, 2013 in City

More police, DUI testing

 

Players check out brackets during Hoopfest 2012.
(Full-size photo)

More than 60-plus commissioned police officers will be working each day at Hoopfest this year to assist the event’s own security personnel.

Additionally, there will be 25 Spokane police reserves, volunteers and explorers roaming around the event.

“Our goal is to have a safe weekend with lots of positive interaction between officers, visitors and citizens,” said police spokeswoman Monique Cotton.

Authorities will also be watching from overhead. Spokane Regional Air Support will be coordinating flights along with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s helicopter.

“We have increased our presence over last year,” Cotton said. “Hoopfest reimburses the city for 60 percent of all direct costs associated with the police services provided. The city credits the other 40 percent due to that positive economic impact that Hoopfest has on our local economy.”

‘No Refusal Weekend’

All drivers arrested under suspicion of impaired driving today, Saturday and Sunday who refuse a breath test will be subject to a blood testing for alcohol and drugs, authorities said.

The enforcement, dubbed “No Refusal Weekend,” is an effort to crack down on impaired driving, said Deputy Craig Chamberlain, Spokane County Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

“Impaired driving remains a major public safety threat that still claims thousands of innocent lives on our roadways every year. No Refusal Weekends represent one more step in our battle against this scourge,” said Sgt. Tony Meyer of the Spokane Police Department.

In Spokane County about 25 percent of impaired drivers refuse breath tests in the field, Chamberlain said.

“The No Refusal Weekend is designed to address this issue,” he said.

Jody Lawrence-Turner


There are five comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email