June 30, 2013 in City

In brief: Woman dies after rock climbing fall

 

A woman died Friday night when she fell off the rock climbing wall in Q’emiln Park in Post Falls.

Post Falls police responded to a call of a fall at about 9:30 p.m. Friday, according to a Post Falls police news release. When police arrived, they had to search for the victim, who had had fallen about 50 feet to the rocks below.

Kootenai County Fire and Rescue began medical aid on scene, but the woman suffered major trauma from the fall and was pronounced dead at the scene. There was no indication of foul play.

The woman’s identity has not been released.

Driver killed in collision on Interstate 90

An Olympia man was killed late Friday night when his car collided with the trailer of a semitruck on Interstate 90 near the Spokane airport.

Aaron Edwards, 26, was eastbound approaching Grove Road when a truck driven by Vladamir Ogay, 56, slowed in front of him because of traffic congestion, according to the Washington State Patrol. Edwards, who was wearing a seat belt, struck the truck’s trailer, and the two vehicles came to rest blocking the right eastbound lane of I-90 for about 4 1/2 hours, the WSP said. Ogay’s passenger, Viktor Taptykov, 53, was uninjured, the WSP said.

The cause of the crash was under investigation.

Lightning suspected in house fire

Lightning from Saturday’s storms likely ignited a fire that damaged a South Hill home, according to the Spokane Fire Department.

Witnesses told investigators two pine trees touching the roof of a home on the 900 block of West 16th Avenue were struck by lightning Saturday afternoon. Reports of smoke from the attic brought firefighters to the scene about 3:30 p.m., according to a news release from Battalion Chief Bob Green.

Firefighters quickly knocked the fire down and there were no injuries, the release said. Investigators found that the appearance of the pine trees was consistent with a lightning strike. Nine vehicles with 23 firefighters responded to the fire.

The fire was confined to the attic, and damage to the attic and one bedroom ceiling was estimated at $20,000, the release said. No one was home at the time of the fire.

Fernan Lake health advisory issued

A health advisory was issued Saturday for Fernan Lake, where toxic blue-green algae was found in the water.

The public should avoid making any direct contact with water containing visible algae, according to a news release from the Panhandle Health District. Swallowing water is particularly dangerous, and the toxins cannot be removed by boiling or filtering water, the district said.

People who drink or swim in water that contains high concentrations of the cyanobacteria that cause the algae may experience gastroenteritis, skin irritation, allergic responses or liver damage. Those who experience numbness, tingling, skin irritation or nausea after coming into contact with the water should seek medical attention, the health district said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus