Here are the answers to this week’s quiz.
1. B. Fearing the proliferation of businesses that sell pot before Washington even finishes crafting regulations for the state’s new legalized recreational marijuana industry, the Spokane City Council instituted a moratorium on new medical marijuana dispensaries and related businesses.
2. C. Stewart’s worst-actress prize came for both “Twilight” and her fairy-tale update “Snow White and the Huntsman.”
3. A. Janet Guthrie had the previous best finish for a woman in the Daytona 500 – 11th in 1980.
4. C. The Vatican settled the question of what you call a retired pontiff by announcing Tuesday that Pope Benedict XVI would bear the title “pope emeritus” or “Roman pontiff emeritus.”
5. B. “Idaho is home to many amazing amphibians,” sixth-grader Ilah Hickman told the House State Affairs Committee. She proposed the Idaho giant salamander as Idaho’s state amphibian.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, go to spokesman.com/newsquiz, where you could win a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel or two movie tickets.
Last week’s winners: Conrad Covash, of Spokane, won the Davenport gift card. Bob Springli, of Hayden, won movie tickets, and Tiffany Forland, of Spokane, won EWU basketball tickets.