If you kept up with the news last week – or even if you didn’t – you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Test your memory with our newspaper version, then go online to spokesman.com/newsquiz to take the interactive quiz. Top entries to the online quiz go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for two movie tickets.
1. The Spokane City Council took what action this week affecting medical marijuana dispensaries?
A. Allowed for new licenses on a first-come, first-served basis
B. Issued a moratorium on new dispensaries for six months
C. Decided to get into the pot business, choosing to open its own dispensary
D. Allowed dispensaries closed late last year to reopen
2. Kristen Stewart was awarded a “Razzie” for worst actress this year. What movie or movies garnered her this distinction?
A. “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2”
B. “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1” and 2
C. “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2” and “Snow White and the Huntsman”
D. “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2” and “On the Road”
3. NASCAR driver Danica Patrick finished eighth in the Daytona 500. The previous best finish for a woman was:
A. Janet Guthrie, who placed 11th in 1980.
B. Terri O’Connell, who placed ninth in 1990.
C. Robin McCall, who placed 15th in 1982.
D. Patty Moise, who placed 59th in 1988.
4. When Pope Benedict XVI stepped down Friday and entered retirement, he assumed what title?
A. Emeritus bishop of Rome
B. His Holiness, Pope Benedict
C. Emeritus pope
D. Monsignor Joseph Ratzinger
5. A Boise sixth-grader made a pitch in the Idaho Legislature to have what creature declared the state amphibian?
A. Spadefoot toad
B. Idaho giant salamander
C. Rough-skinned newt
D. Tiger salamander
Check your work
Find the answers, explanations and last week’s winners on
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.