March 7, 2013 in Nation/World

Suspect in deadly NYC crash arrested

Colleen Long Associated Press
 

Acevedo
(Full-size photo)

NEW YORK – A man suspected of fleeing the scene of a grisly New York crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband was arrested at a Pennsylvania convenience store on Wednesday after a friend arranged his surrender, and he was ordered held without bail.

Julio Acevedo walked to officers waiting in cars in the parking lot in Bethlehem, Pa., and was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said.

Acevedo is accused of speeding down a Brooklyn street at 60 mph early Sunday and crashing into a car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber. The Glaubers, both 21 years old, died Sunday, and their premature son, delivered by cesarean section, died Monday.

Acevedo, 44, was ordered held without bail on a charge of being a fugitive from justice late Wednesday during a video hearing. A judge said Acevedo would be held overnight in Lehigh County Prison while awaiting an extradition hearing today.

Acevedo told the Daily News that he was fleeing a man who was trying to shoot at him when his borrowed BMW slammed into a hired car carrying the couple. He told the newspaper he fled because he was worried he’d be killed. But police said there were no reports of shots fired in the area at the time of the wreck.

Acevedo was arrested last month on a charge of driving under the influence, and the case is pending. He was stopped by police after they said he was driving erratically around 3 a.m. on Feb. 17.

He served about a decade in prison in the 1990s for manslaughter.

© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email