Signed Veteran receiver Brian Hartline agreed to a five-year deal for nearly $31 million to remain with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said Friday. The contract includes $12.5 million guaranteed, agent Drew Rosenhaus said.
• Quarterback Matt Moore has signed a two-year contract to remain with the Miami Dolphins as a backup rather than testing free agency where he might pursue a starting job. Released The Arizona Cardinals have released five-time Pro Bowl strong safety Adrian Wilson. Wilson played 12 seasons with the Cardinals and is one of six NFL players with 25 interceptions and 25 sacks. He was a Pro Bowler in 2006 and 2008-11. • The Jacksonville Jaguars have released safety Dawan Landry and cornerback Aaron Ross, veterans whose play failed to match their pay.
• The Carolina Panthers have released starting cornerback Chris Gamble in a move that will get them under this year’s NFL salary cap. By releasing Gamble the Panthers will save $7.9 million under this year’s salary cap. He becomes a free agent.
• The Baltimore Ravens have terminated the contract of guard Bobbie Williams, who played in all four playoff games for the Super Bowl champions. The 36-year-old Williams played 13 regular-season games with Baltimore after signing as a free agent before the 2012 season.
Signed The Anaheim Ducks have re-signed captain Ryan Getzlaf to an eight-year contract. The 27-year-old Getzlaf has scored 499 points in 534 games with Anaheim, establishing himself as one of the NHL’s top playmakers.
Injured Everton soccer goalkeeper Tim Howard has two broken bones in his back and likely will miss the Americans’ World Cup qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico this month. Aston Villa’s Brad Guzan is likely to take over in goal in what would be his first qualifiers in four years.
• American soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo will be sidelined for three to four months following surgery to repair cartilage in her left wrist.
• The Columbus Blue Jackets have placed right wing Derek Dorsett on injured reserve after he broke his collarbone during Thursday’s NHL game against Vancouver. The club expects Dorsett to miss the rest of the season.
Click here to comment on this story »