Family displaced as Hillyard home burns
A Hillyard home is destroyed after a fire ripped through the structure and displacing a family and their pets.
Several fire engines and crews arrived to the house in the 5000 block of North Regal around 7:20 p.m. after a resident called 911 when they saw smoke coming out of the attic.
Spokane Fire Department Battalion Chief Bill Donahoe described the fire as “stubborn” because it caved in the roof in several places and continued to burn for over two hours.
A backdraft caused a dangerous situation for crews as well.
Donahoe expects fire crews to be at the home for the majority of the night spraying water through the roof.
Only one person was in the home at the time of the fire. Firefighters rescued one cat, but the smoke became too thick and they had to get out of the house. Two of the cats are still missing as of Friday night.
A firefighter who helped open up the home’s roof and ventilate the fire injured his knee and ankle during the fire and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.