NHL: Brian Gionta scored the go-ahead goal 48 seconds into the third period, P.K. Subban added two more and the Montreal Canadiens beat the New York Islanders for the first time in three tries this season, 5-2 on Thursday night in Uniondale, N.Y.
Gionta’s 10th goal of the season came after center David Desharnais caught a wobbling puck by the blue line off a clearing attempt, set it down and passed it to Gionta in front.
• Ott lifts Sabres: Steve Ott scored the decisive goal in the sixth round of the shootout, helping the Buffalo Sabres rally for a 5-4 win over the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs.
• Capitals down Jets: Braden Holtby made 20 saves for his fourth shutout of the season and Alexander Ovechkin had a goal and two assists in the visiting Washington Capitals’ 4-0 victory over the Winnipeg Jets.
Brewer, Nuggets rally late to win No. 14
NBA: Corey Brewer sank three free throws with 2.1 seconds left and the Denver Nuggets stretched their franchise-best winning streak to 14 games with a 101-100 thriller over the Philadelphia 76ers.
Brewer scored the Nuggets’ last six points, finishing with 29.
Jrue Holliday had 18 points and 15 assists for the Sixers.
• Blazers complete season sweep of Bulls: LaMarcus Aldridge scored 28 points, Damian Lillard added 24 and the visiting Portland Trail Blazers completed a season sweep of the Chicago Bulls with a 99-89 victory.
Rose takes surprising lead at Bay Hill
Golf: Justin Rose started out as another guy in Tiger Woods’ group at Bay Hill. He wound up in the lead.
Rose ran off four straight birdies late in his round of 7-under 65 in Orlando, Fla. It marked only the sixth time in 31 rounds at Bay Hill that Rose broke 70. Woods carded a 69.
• Park leads Kia Classic: Jane Park shot a bogey-free 6-under 66 to take the lead after the opening round of the Kia Classic at Aviara in Carlsbad, Calif.
GU sophomore Alice Kim finished 5-over 77.
Pollard, Titans agree to one-year deal
NFL: Former Ravens safety Bernard Pollard has agreed to a one-year deal with the Tennessee Titans. Pollard, 28, played two seasons with the Houston Texans before signing with the Ravens.
Pollard led the Ravens in tackles last season with 98 while playing much of the year with cracked ribs.
• Panthers shape secondary: The Panthers have re-signed cornerback Captain Munnerlyn and signed unrestricted free-agent safety Mike Mitchell from the Oakland Raiders.
Mancuso races to record 16th U.S. title
Miscellany: Julia Mancuso skied to her record 16th title in the U.S. Alpine Championships, winning the giant slalom in her hometown of Squaw Valley, Calif.
The Olympic gold medalist beat World Cup slalom champion Mikaela Shiffrin by 0.88 seconds in the opening event in the four-day competition at the 1960 Olympic mountain.
• Maryland beats Denver: Dez Wells scored 19 points and Maryland rallied in the final 9 minutes to beat Denver 62-52 in a second-round NIT basketball game in College Park, Md.
• Jeter to only play exhibition games in minors: New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says shortstop Derek Jeter, still bouncing back from a broken ankle, will play only in minor league spring training games for the rest of spring training.
• Capriati facing charges: Former tennis star Jennifer Capriati has been charged after North Palm Beach, Fla., police said she punched her ex-boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.
• Penn State takes lead: Two-time defending champion Penn State took a 3 1/2 point lead in the opening sessions of the NCAA wrestling championships in Des Moines, Iowa.
Click here to comment on this story »