That’s News to You answers
Here are the answers to this week’s quiz.
1. C. An armed robber tied up the manager of Poppy’s Tavern in Spokane Valley on Wednesday before escaping with an undisclosed amount of cash. He used zip ties on the woman’s hands, she told police. He also took two beers in a paper bag when he left.
2. A. Chief Garry Park Neighborhood Council Chair Colleen Gardner said the recent shooting of a car thief is indicative of crime problems in the area. Five vehicles were confirmed stolen from the neighborhood in the past two weeks, police said.
3. D. At Bonners Ferry High School, they’re requiring students to sign in and out of bathrooms and posting a restroom monitor to battle a recent string of bomb threats scribbled inside toilet stalls. That’s in addition to video surveillance in the hallway that records who goes in and out of the bathroom.
4. D. Dennis Phillips is a 1968 graduate of Ferris High School and was one of the tallest players in Spokane for high school basketball at 6-8. He made the all-city team during his senior year, but missed winning the scoring title. However, he broke free throw records for a single season.
5. B. The surging waters brought by Superstorm Sandy increased levels to about 8 feet on Ellis Island and destroyed boilers and electrical systems. The museum is under repair and likely closed for the rest of the year, reports said.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, go to spokesman.com/newsquiz, where you could win a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel or two movie tickets.
Last week’s winners: Marshall Smith, of Spokane, won the Davenport gift card. Linda Stanescu, of Sprague, Wash., won movie tickets.