The cause of a fire that damaged a downtown parking garage and gutted a pickup owned by the Downtown Spokane Partnership remains unknown.
Witnesses reported the pickup ablaze just after 5 p.m. Monday in Parking West, 1102 W. Sprague Ave. Smoke poured out of the garage until it was extinguished by Spokane firefighters.
The 2001 Ford pickup is one of three pickups owned by the Downtown Spokane Partnership that were kept at the garage. The pickup was parked about an hour before the fire was reported, said Mark Richard, president of the partnership.
Spokane Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the fire started in the pickup’s engine compartment and was mechanical or electrical in nature. He said forensic tests are being completed in hopes of better defining the cause.
The garage is owned by Centennial Real Estate Properties, a subsidiary of the Cowles Co., which also owns The Spokesman-Review.
Deanne Logan, Centennial’s real estate manager, said one other vehicle was damaged by the blaze. Two spaces have been closed while the area is inspected for damage, she said.