May 12, 2013 in Nation/World

Smoke clears White House; no one hurt

Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Reporters and photographers were evacuated briefly from the West Wing of the White House early Saturday because of smoke from an overheated transformer in a mechanical room.

President Barack Obama and his family were not affected by the incident, according to the White House.

U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien said that at about 7 a.m., smoke was seen coming from a mechanical closet on the first floor.

Journalists and others were evacuated out of “an abundance of caution” and the District of Columbia fire department was called, he said.

People were allowed back into the building about an hour later.

No injuries were reported.

© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

There are two comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email