Auto racing: Marco Andretti posted the fastest Indianapolis 500 practice speed of the month Monday, turning a fast lap of 225.100 mph on the 2.5-mile oval.
Warmer temperatures and brighter skies created much better conditions than the first two days of practice at Indy, and it showed. Andretti and three-time Indy winner Helio Castroneves each topped 225 mph.
Defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay was third at 224.386. Australia’s Will Power was fourth at 223.784 and Panther Racing’s J.R. Hildebrand was fifth at 223.624.
Canada rallies past Slovenia at worlds
Hockey: Steven Stamkos scored two goals and Canada rallied for a 4-3 overtime win over Slovenia at the ice hockey world championships in Helsinki.
The United States and Russia top their group with 15 points, one more than Finland. The Americans and Finns have a game in hand. The U.S. meets Slovakia and Finland plays Latvia today. Canada leads its group with 18 points, but Switzerland can win it by securing one point against Belarus today.
Sweden will finish third, and Norway will play the Czech Republic in a decider for the remaining place in the quarterfinals.
Also, Russia defeated Austria 8-4 and Latvia beat France 3-1. In Stockholm, Denmark beat Belarus 3-2.
Nix quitting as Bills’ general manager
NFL: Buddy Nix is stepping down as the Buffalo Bills general manager, the team announced. Nix will remain with the team in a new role as special assistant, the Bills said in a released statement. Assistant GM Doug Whaley is expected to take over.
• Chiefs hire Ault as consultant: The Kansas City Chiefs hired former Nevada coach Chris Ault, the innovator of the “pistol” offensive formation that has swept through the NFL, to serve as a special consultant.
• Ex-Jaguar Smith sentenced: Former Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith has been sentenced to six years in prison in Mississippi for drug possession and weapons charges. Smith, 44, was sentenced to two years for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and four years for possession of cocaine.
• Cardinals make moves: The Arizona Cardinals signed second-round pick Kevin Minter, a linebacker from LSU, and released quarterback Brian Hoyer. Arizona also signed center Adam Bice and quarterback Caleb TerBush.
Simpson back in court, asking for new trial
Miscellany: O.J. Simpson is back in a Las Vegas courtroom to ask for a new trial in the case that sent him to prison in 2008.
The former football hero and a new set of lawyers hope to convince a judge during a hearing that trial lawyer Yale Galanter had conflicted interests and shouldn’t have handled Simpson’s armed robbery case.
• Brown player assaulted: Police in Providence, R.I., said a Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being punched in the head in what appeared to be an unprovoked assault.
Police said sophomore Joseph Sharkey, 21, suffered severe head injuries when a man came up to him and hit him early Sunday morning.
• Acevedo takes Tour of California lead: Javier Acevedo of Colombia bolted to the front with about 700 yards left in a final steep climb, winning the second stage in scorching heat to take the overall lead at the Tour of California.
• Manchester City fires Mancini: Manchester City fired manager Roberto Mancini after conceding the Premier League title to rival Manchester United.
Singer Carole King, a long-time resident of Idaho, performs during the final day of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia earlier today. King, whose hits include "You've Got A Friend," ...
Idaho Congressman Raul Labrador is the sixth-poorest member of Congress, according to a comparison by InsideGov.com, with an average net worth, based on his federal financial disclosures, of minus $216,000. ...
21. California envy. 20. Water recreation. 19. Mental illness. 18. Conducive to frolicsome attire. 17. "I feel the need, the need for chlorine." 16. Have AC and enjoy cranking it ...
While there aren’t any new additions to the Spokane Indians weekly prospect rankings, there is a new No. 1. And a great deal of movement. Six of last week’s 10 ...