World Hockey: Slovakia defeated the United States 4-1 at the ice hockey world championship at Helsinki on Tuesday.
The U.S. had a chance to clinch the group, but finished third and will meet Russia in the quarterfinals on Thursday.
Slovakia’s Branko Radivojevic scored 15 seconds into the game when U.S. goaltender Ben Bishop turned the puck over, trying to reach a teammate with a pass.
• Ovechkin joins Russia: Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will join Russia’s team at the ice hockey world championships in Finland.
Eagles sign former Dallas RB Jones
NFL: The Philadelphia Eagles have signed former Cowboys running back Felix Jones to a one-year contract.
A former first-round selection by Dallas in 2008, Jones has rushed for 2,728 career yards and 11 TDs, averaging 4.8 yards per carry.
Hinchcliffe has fastest lap a Indy
Miscellany: James Hinchcliffe posted the fastest lap in practice for the Indianapolis 500, the third straight day an Andretti Autosport driver topped the speed chart.
Hinchcliffe, driving teammate Marco Andretti’s car, turned a lap of 224.210 mph on a warm, windy day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
• Wigan drops from Premier League: Wigan became the first team to win the FA Cup and get relegated in the same season, losing 4-1 at Arsenal and ending its eight-year stay in the Premier League.
• Nibali keeps Giro d’Italia lead: Colombia’s Rigoberto Uran won the first mountain stage of the Giro d’Italia, while Italy’s Vincenzo Nibali kept the overall lead after the 10th leg.
• Sagans wins California stage: Peter Sagan of Slovakia sprinted to the Stage 3 win and Colombian Janier Acevedo maintained the race lead as strong winds replaced the heat at the Tour of California.
• Wozniacki upset in Italian Open: Former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki was upset in the first round of the Italian Open at Rome by 48th-ranked Bojana Jovanovski 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5).
The Dane has struggled on clay this season, losing to in first round of last week’s Madrid Open and in her first match in Stuttgart, Germany, last month.