Savannah Blinn sent home 23 kills to guide the Gonzaga volleyball team to a five-set win over San Francisco in a West Coast Conference match Saturday afternoon in Spokane.
Scores were 17-25, 25-19, 25-19, 23-25 and 15-10.
The win gave the Bulldogs the season sweep over the Dons – the first time that’s happened since 2001.
It was also the sixth conference victory for Gonzaga – the highest total since the Bulldogs won six conference matches in 1996.
Meredith Crenshaw had 12 kills and Kristina Lavrisha added 12 digs for GU (10-12, 6-7).
Malina Terrell led three San Francisco (11-11, 7-5) players in double figures with 18 kills.
The Bulldogs host Portland next Saturday.
• Freshman Kyra Holt had 20 kills as Washington State (16-9, 3-9) snapped a six-match losing streak with a Pac-12 Conference sweep over Utah (17-7, 6-6) in Pullman. Scores were 27-25, 26-24 and 25-20.
Marcelina Glab and Ver’Leea Hardaway each added six blocks for Washington State, while Camryn Irwin dished out 29 assists.
• Idaho responded after dropping the first set and dumped Texas-Pan America (11-17, 1-11) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Moscow, Idaho. Scores were 22-25, 25-18, 25-9 and 25-19.
Ashley Christman had 13 kills and four aces and Meredith Coba added 42 assists for the Vandals (14-10, 7-5).
Idaho takes on Seattle on Friday in its final home match of the season.
• Kelsey Julian and Talia Fernandez combined for 23 kills and Eastern Washington snapped a four-match losing streak with a 25-16, 21-25, 25-19, 25-20 Big Sky Conference win over Montana State in Bozeman.
Ryann Ensrud had 14 digs and three aces and Lindsay Niemeier dished out 36 assists for the Eagles (8-17, 5-9).
The Bobcats (5-20, 3-11) were led by Kayla Reno’s 15 kills.
Eastern hosts Northern Arizona on Thursday in the first of four straight home matches.
• Whitworth rallied after dropping the first two sets, but its comeback attempt fell short in a five-set Northwest Conference loss to first-place Pacific Lutheran (17-5, 13-1) in Parkland, Wash.
Scores were 25-21, 25-20, 21-25, 16-25 and 15-13.
Jalana White had 20 kills and 32 digs and Nicole Leonard added 17 kills for the Pirates (13-13, 7-7), who lost their third straight.
Whitworth will look to snap that losing skid Wednesday at Whitman.
• Dana Norris tallied a match-high 21 kills and Jacy Vining added 14 kills and 13 digs as Community Colleges of Spokane (28-13, 8-2) topped Treasure Valley (11-17, 3-9) in a NWAACC match in Ontario, Ore.
Scores were 23-25, 25-14, 25-20, 16-25 and 15-11.
Kaylee Cornelison added 13 kills and six blocks and Carmen Richardson had four aces for the Sasquatch.
Whitworth and Willamette played to a scoreless draw in a Northwest Conference match in Spokane.
The Pirates (6-7-5, 3-6-5) controlled possession throughout and held a 23-7 advantage in shots, but couldn’t get any past Willamette (4-10-3, 2-8-3) keeper Emily Sewall, who made seven saves.
Whitworth keeper Andrea Stump stopped four shots.
• Tasha Luu had a hat trick in Community Colleges of Spokane’s 5-1 NWAACC win over Columbia Basin (9-7-2, 7-7-2) in Pasco, Wash.
Lindsay DeHaas and Brittany Bruegeman also scored for the Sasquatch (14-1-4, 12-1-3).
Whitworth’s Sam Engle scored in the 81st minute and the Pirates (10-3-3, 8-2-2) played to a 1-all draw with Willamette (9-5-3, 5-4-3) in a Northwest Conference match in Spokane.
The Bearcats’ Tyler Yates opened the scoring in the 64th minute.
Whitworth hosts Linfield today.
• Antonio Gonzalez scored in the ninth minute and Columbia Basin (5-8-5, 4-4-5) held on to beat Community Colleges of Spokane (12-5-3, 7-4-2) 1-0 in a NWAACC match in Pasco.
Click here to comment on this story »