Incognito revealed as Martin instigator
In the stadium program sold at the Miami Dolphins’ game on Halloween, Richie Incognito was asked who’s the easiest teammate to scare. His answer: Jonathan Martin.
The troubled, troubling relationship between the two offensive linemen took an ominous turn Monday with fresh revelations: Incognito sent text messages to his teammate that were racist and threatening, two people familiar with the situation said.
The people spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Dolphins and NFL haven’t disclosed the nature of the misconduct that led to Sunday’s suspension of Incognito, a veteran with a reputation for dirty play.
Martin, a tackle, remained absent from practice Monday one week after he suddenly left the team because of emotional issues. Also missing was Incognito, a guard suspended indefinitely late Sunday by coach Joe Philbin for his treatment of Martin.
Agents for the two players didn’t respond to requests for comment. Martin is with his family in Los Angeles for counseling.
The 319-pound Incognito, a ninth-year pro, is white. The 312-pound Martin, who is in his second NFL season, is black. For much of the season, they’ve played side by side.
The team and NFL continued their investigation into allegations by Martin’s representatives that he was bullied, and Philbin said Dolphins owner Stephen Ross asked NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for assistance. The NFL Players Association also planned to look into the matter.
Kubiak remains hospitalized
Texans coach Gary Kubiak remains hospitalized but could be released today after collapsing on the field at halftime of Houston’s 27-24 loss to Indianapolis.
The team said the 52-year-old Kubiak experienced “dizziness and a light-headed feeling” during Sunday night’s game before being taken by ambulance to a hospital. The Texans have not said what caused the problem, saying only that Kubiak has gone through a battery of tests and is with his family.
Kubiak hunched over and dropped to his knees at the 24-yard line and he was immediately surrounded by medical personnel. He was taken off the field on a stretcher and put in an ambulance.
Around the league
San Francisco activated wide receiver Mario Manningham from the physically unable to perform list and he will be available for Sunday’s home game against Carolina. The 49ers also waived CB Nnamdi Asomugha and activated CB Eric Wright from the reserve/non-football injury list. … Buffalo released QB Matt Flynn, three weeks after the Bills signed the sixth-year player. … Minnesota tight end Kyle Rudolph will miss at least the next month with a fractured left foot. … Cincinnati put defensive tackle Geno Atkins on injured reserve, four days after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The Bengals tried to replace him by signing defensive tackle Christo Bilukidi, a sixth-round pick of the Raiders last year. The deal was later voided by the NFL because Bilukidi didn’t have a work permit from Canada to keep playing in the U.S.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.