AJ McCarron threw three touchdown passes, T.J. Yeldon ran for 133 yards and two scores and No. 1 Alabama scored the final 21 points to overwhelm No. 10 LSU 38-17 Saturday night in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
The Crimson Tide (9-0, 6-0 Southeastern Conference) turned to power football to take control of a game that was tied early in the third quarter. Yeldon carried 18 times in the second half, 25 overall.
Zach Mettenberger completed 16 of 23 passes for 241 yards and a touchdown for the Tigers (7-3, 3-3), but was also sacked four times.
(3) Florida State 59, Wake Forest 3: Jameis Winston threw two touchdown passes, and the Seminoles (9-0, 7-0) tied a school record with six interceptions as it clinched an ACC championship game berth with a win over the Demon Deacons (4-6, 2-5) in Winston-Salem, N.C.
(7) Auburn 55, Tennessee 23: Nick Marshall gained 214 of the Tigers’ 444 yards rushing and Auburn (9-1, 5-1 SEC) scored on a punt return and kickoff return in a win over the Volunteers (4-6, 1-5) in Knoxville, Tenn.
The Tigers won while attempting just seven passes all day.
(9) Missouri 48, Kentucky 17: Maty Mauk, making his fourth consecutive start in place of the injured James Franklin, threw five TD passes, four to Dorial Green-Beckham, and the Tigers (9-1, 5-1 SEC) cruised past the Wildcats (2-7, 0-5).
(11) Texas A&M 51, Mississippi State 41: Johnny Manziel threw for 446 yards and tied a career-high with five touchdown passes to lead the Aggies (8-2, 4-2 SEC) to a win over the Rebels (4-5, 1-4) in what could be his last home game in College Station, Texas.
Virginia Tech 42, (14) Miami 24: Trey Edmunds ran for four TDs, the first three set up by Hurricanes (7-2, 3-2) special-teams miscues, and the Hokies (7-3, 4-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) earned a win at Miami Gardens, Fla.
(15) Oklahoma State 42, Kansas 6: Clint Chelf completed 19 of 37 passes for 265 yards and three TDs to lead the Cowboys (8-1, 5-1 Big 12) to a victory over the Jayhawks (2-7, 0-6) in Stillwater, Okla.
(17) Fresno State 48, Wyoming 10: Derek Carr completed 33 of 46 passes for 366 yards and four TDs, and Josh Quezada rushed for 105 yards and a score as the Bulldogs (9-0, 6-0 Mountain West) defeated the Cowboys (4-5, 2-3) in Laramie, Wyo.
(19) UCF 19, Houston 14: William Stanback scored two TDs and the Knights (7-1, 4-0) held off a late Cougars (7-2, 4-1) threat in Orlando, Fla., to keep first place in the American Athletic Conference all to itself.
(21) Wisconsin 27, BYU 17: James White ran for two TDs and caught a pass for another score, and the Badgers (7-2) stalled the Cougars’ (6-3) fast-paced offense in Madison, Wis.
White finished with 147 yards rushing.
Pittsburgh 28, (24) Notre Dame 21: James Conner ran for two short TDs, including the go-ahead score with 9:36 remaining, as the Panthers (5-4) upset the visiting Fighting Irish (7-3).
Notre Dame turned it over three times, including a pair of fourth-quarter interceptions by Tommy Rees.
Kansas St. 49, (25) Texas Tech 26: Jake Waters and Daniel Sams each ran for two TDs to lead the Wildcats (5-4, 3-3 Big 12) past the Red Raiders (7-3, 4-3) in Lubbock, Texas.
The Spokane City Council will probably spend part of Monday’s meeting arguing whether changing Columbus Day to “Indigenous Peoples Day” is an exercise in cultural sensitivity or political correctness. In ...
A GRIP ON SPORTS • Walked through one of the big box stores the other day. The back-to-school supplies had been picked over like last Thanksgiving’s turkey. We have to ...
GROUP TRIPS -- Hiking, paddling and birding in the Panhandle are featured in the 10th annual Summer Adventure Series of group outings led by the Idaho Conservation League. The 10 ...
High school and college football are here, so we can no longer pretend. Summer is going, going, almost gone. Yet, the weather remains nice. And the tourists are about to ...
sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.