November 11, 2013 in Nation/World

Sen. Lindsey Graham may stall federal nominations over Benghazi attack

Associated Press
 

Graham
(Full-size photo)

TV apology

NEW YORK – CBS’ “60 Minutes” apologized on Sunday’s broadcast for a flawed story on the 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, and for the discredited source who claimed to have been at the scene.

During brief remarks at the end of the hour correspondent Lara Logan said “60 Minutes” was misled and made a mistake in its reporting.

Logan is the correspondent responsible for the Oct. 27 story. She had interviewed former security contractor Dylan Davies, who claimed he took part in fighting at the mission. But Davies’ account unraveled last week, forcing CBS News on Friday to admit its error in running the story.

WASHINGTON – A Republican senator said Sunday he won’t back down from blocking President Barack Obama’s nominees for Federal Reserve chairman and homeland security secretary in a long-running dispute over the deadly attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said nothing had changed even after CBS News acknowledged flaws in a “60 Minutes” report on the Benghazi attack. CBS said Friday that it was wrong to trust a “60 Minutes” source, a former contractor at a British security company who claimed to be at the scene of the assault. “60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan apologized for the flawed report on Sunday’s broadcast.

A day after the initial CBS report aired, Graham announced that he would stall the nominees until the administration allowed attack survivors to talk to lawmakers.

Graham told CNN’s “State of the Union” that he hopes there’s a way to arrange interviews with five State Department employees so he can let the nominations move forward.

“I want to perform oversight,” he said. “I’m not trying to prosecute a crime. I’m not trying to defend the British contractor.”

Graham said he didn’t want to delay nominees such as Janet Yellen at the Fed and Jeh Johnson at the Homeland Security Department.

“All I want to do is talk to the survivors, protecting their security, protecting their identity, to find out exactly what did happen,” Graham said. “Was it a protest? Was it an al-Qaida-inspired attack?”

The raid on Sept. 11, 2012, killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Conservatives contend that the Obama administration tried to mislead the American people in the heat of a presidential campaign by playing down a terrorist attack on Obama’s watch. Republicans have accused the administration of stonewalling their investigations.

The State Department has told Graham that it was concerned about congressional interviews with the survivors of the attack because of Justice Department advice that the survivors could be witnesses in a criminal trial and any interviews outside the criminal justice process could jeopardize a case.

© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus