Arrow-right Camera
News >  Idaho

Police say they’ve had ’contact’ with alleged Moscow shooter before

Moscow Police said they have had “run-ins” before with the alleged shooter from an incident during the weekend that left a Moscow man dead.

Nathaniel H. Nesbit, 28, of Moscow is currently in Latah County jail facing a charge of first-degree murder after allegedly shooting 42-year-old Charles McMichael inside a trailer at Moscow’s Bel Air Mobile Park on Sunday.

While he was unwilling to go into detail, Moscow Police Chief David Duke said police have responded to incidents involving Nesbit at the trailer where the shooting occurred in the past.

“We’ve had previous contact with him before at that address,” Duke said Monday.

Duke also said the woman whose name is on the lease to the trailer, which police have not yet released, was originally thought to be an ex-girlfriend of Nesbit’s, but is now believed to be his ex-wife. Duke also said that all three, McMichael included, worked together at a cleaning business.

Reports indicate McMichael was helping Nesbit’s estranged ex to replace the locks on her trailer Sunday when they arrived just before 1 p.m. and found it locked and barricaded from within.

McMichael was able to get the door open and work his way inside, where he confronted Nesbit. After a brief exchange, Nesbit allegedly shot McMichael three times in the chest. McMichael was taken to Gritman Medical Center by emergency medical services shortly after where he died from his wounds.

Nesbit surrendered to police without incident when they arrived at the scene.

A handgun, a 9 mm Beretta, was collected into evidence by police Monday and is believed to be the gun used in the shooting.

“We’re still collecting and processing evidence and reinterviewing people to try to confirm some of the facts,” Duke said.

A neighbor, who said he recognized Nesbit from his own “previous contact” with him in the mobile park, told police he saw Nesbit come and go from the trailer several times earlier in the day Sunday. The last time he saw him go in was about 12:15 p.m.

With government offices closed for Veteran’s Day, Duke said he couldn’t say when Nesbit’s first appearance in court would be for sure, but he suspects it will be sometime today.