Injuries force Franchitti out of racing
Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti said Thursday that doctors have told him he can no longer race because of injuries sustained in an IndyCar crash last month.
Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 crash at Houston. The crash occurred on the last lap when his car made contact with another car and went sailing into a fence.
The 40-year-old Franchitti underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.
“One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing,” Franchitti said. “They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long-term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.”
Franchitti’s 31 victories are tied for eighth on the all-time list, and his 33 poles are sixth.
Changes to HOF panel
NASCAR officials announced that the Sprint Cup champion will now get to vote on NASCAR’s Hall of Fame, adding that other “significant changes” to the Hall of Fame selection process and eligibility rules will be revealed during Champions Week in Las Vegas next month.
The group, which now made up of 56 voters, includes Hall of Famers, NASCAR officials, track representatives, retired drivers, crew chiefs and team owners and media members.
McLaren promotes rookie
McLaren says it will promote Danish driver Kevin Magnussen for the 2014 Formula One season, pairing the rookie with former world champion Jenson Button.
The 21-year-old Magnussen replaces Mexican driver Sergio Perez, who announced Wednesday that he will leave McLaren after one season. McLaren has had a disappointing 2013, with no podium finishes.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.