Here are the answers to this week’s That’s News to You quiz:
1. A. Even though they live off campus, seniors Erik Fagan and Daniel McIntosh were put on probation for violating a GU policy that bans firearms in university-owned housing. They’ve become a cause célèbre among gun rights advocates.
2. E. The council voted 7-0 against the proposed contract with the Spokane Police Guild because of objections to provisions about the police ombudsman.
3. B. Washington’s time capsule is in a vault in the Capitol building in Olympia. It’s designed to have new things added to it every 25 years.
4. D. Boeing said it would build the new version, the 777X, in Washington if the union approved a contract extension and the state extended tax breaks and expanded aerospace training. The state said yes in this month’s special session, but the union rejected the contract by a 2-to-1 margin.
5. C. The latest studies – which contradict some previous studies – say DNA traces the first dogs back to European wolves that may have followed nomadic humans during the Ice Age in Europe.
Now that you’ve had a chance to warm up your news sense, try the online version of our quiz at spokesman.com/newsquiz , where top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets. To give our newspaper readers a boost, some of the questions in this quiz appear in the online version.
Last week’s quiz had a question about the number of managers the Seattle Mariners have had that inadvertently had two correct answers. The M’s have had 16 full-time managers, which was the number that appeared in news accounts of Lloyd McClendon’s hiring and was the answer listed in the newspaper version of the quiz and counted as correct in the online version. But the team also had three interim managers, so some sources list the M’s as having 19 managers. Because 19 was also one of the options, all online entrants who had correct answers on the other nine questions and selected 19 for that question were included in this week’s drawing for the gift card.
Last week’s winners are Kristi Morris, of Newman Lake, who won the Davenport gift card, and Allen Andersen, of Pocatello, who won the movie tickets.