Here are the answers to this week’s newspaper edition of the quiz:
1. C. In an effort to attract high-quality candidates, the city is considering a pay incentive for officers who get a bachelor’s or associate’s degree. It’s in a contract that was negotiated by the mayor but rejected by the City Council for other concerns.
2. E. The teen, who was unlicensed, was reportedly the designated driver on a taco run. At one point he was reportedly driving at speeds of more than 100 miles per hour.
3. C. Staben, 55, current provost and vice president for academic affairs at University of South Dakota, will take over at the University of Idaho in March.
4. A. The Aryan Brotherhood, a white supremacist prison group, reportedly put bounties on the heads of two African-American teens charged with killing Delbert Belton.
5. D. The ASPCA said it will help care for 63 horses seized from a West Plains ranch. That seizure and an earlier one at the ranch have been a major blow to the county animal protection agency’s budget.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, try our online version of the quiz at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets. To give you a boost as a newspaper reader, some of the questions in this quiz also appear on the online quiz.
Last week’s winners are Charles Wisowaty, of Spokane, who won the Davenport gift card, and Sharon Fisher, of Kina, Idaho, who won movie tickets.