The Washington State volleyball team’s comeback attempt fell short in the fifth set as Utah clipped the Cougars in a Pac-12 Conference match Friday in Salt Lake City. Scores were 25-17, 25-14, 20-25, 24-26 and 15-8.
Erin Redd-Brandon led four players in double figures with 16 kills for Utah (13-2, 2-1).
Kyra Holt had a match-high 18 kills for the Cougars (14-2, 1-2).
• Puget Sound (9-5, 4-1) did just enough in a back-and-forth fifth set to beat Whitworth in Tacoma in a Northwest Conference battle for sole possession of second place. Scores were 25-16, 25-15, 20-25, 20-25 and 15-13.
The Pirates held a 13-12 lead in the final set, but Puget Sound scored the next three points to claim the win.
Nicole Leonard led Whitworth (9-8, 3-2) with 15 kills.
• Taylor Simpson had 18 kills and 20 digs to guide Colorado (10-3, 2-1) to an upset over No. 1 Washington (10-1, 2-1) in a Pac-12 match in Boulder, Colo. Scores were 25-17, 26-24, 15-25 and 25-19. Krista Vansant had 14 kills and 14 digs for UW.
• Dana Norris had 11 kills and five aces to guide Community Colleges of Spokane to a sweep of Treasure Valley (7-9, 2-4) in an NWAACC contest at Spokane Falls Community College. Scores were 25-20, 25-12 and 25-23.
Madison Zinsli dished out 24 assists and Brittany Evans added 11 digs for the Sasquatch (19-9, 4-1).
No. 3 UCLA (10-1, 2-0) scored twice in the second half and blanked Washington State 2-0 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Los Angeles.
WSU (7-1-3, 0-1-1) held a 4-3 shot advantage in the first half, but couldn’t hold UCLA off in the second half.
• Allie Beahan’s 45th-minute goal gave Washington (5-5-1, 1-0-1) a 1-0 Pac-12 Conference win over USC (5-5-1, 0-2) in Los Angeles.
• Cori Bianchini and Lynsey Gaines scored first-half goals to lead Portland State (6-4-1, 3-0) to a 2-0 win over Eastern Washington (2-10, 0-3) in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
• J.P Burgess scored off an assist from Darcy Kaysha in the 81st minute to give Idaho (3-8-1, 3-1) a 1-0 Western Athletic Conference win over Utah Valley (5-6, 3-1) in Orem, Utah.
• Alex Rodriguez turned away eight shots to help North Idaho shut out Salt Lake 3-0 in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match in Coeur d’Alene.
Gonzaga’s Clark Phillips scored in the 50th minute, but Saint Mary’s Alex Braman scored 5 minutes later and the Gaels (2-4-3, 0-0-1) and Bulldogs (5-2-1, 0-0-1) played to a 1-1 West Coast Conference draw in Moraga, Calif.
Ruby Roberts finished 17th in her first race of the season and led the Washington State women to a 10th-place finish at the NCAA Regional Preview meet at Haggin Oaks Golf Complex in Sacramento, Calif.
Roberts covered the 5,000-meter course in 17 minutes, 20 seconds.
• Led by Andrew Gonzales’ 39th-place finish, the Washington State men took 20th place at the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind. The EWU men took 27th place and the EWU women finished 12th.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review’s sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.