Utes edge Cougars volleyball in five sets
The Washington State volleyball team’s comeback attempt fell short in the fifth set as Utah clipped the Cougars in a Pac-12 Conference match Friday in Salt Lake City. Scores were 25-17, 25-14, 20-25, 24-26 and 15-8.
Erin Redd-Brandon led four players in double figures with 16 kills for Utah (13-2, 2-1).
Kyra Holt had a match-high 18 kills for the Cougars (14-2, 1-2).
• Puget Sound (9-5, 4-1) did just enough in a back-and-forth fifth set to beat Whitworth in Tacoma in a Northwest Conference battle for sole possession of second place. Scores were 25-16, 25-15, 20-25, 20-25 and 15-13.
The Pirates held a 13-12 lead in the final set, but Puget Sound scored the next three points to claim the win.
Nicole Leonard led Whitworth (9-8, 3-2) with 15 kills.
• Taylor Simpson had 18 kills and 20 digs to guide Colorado (10-3, 2-1) to an upset over No. 1 Washington (10-1, 2-1) in a Pac-12 match in Boulder, Colo. Scores were 25-17, 26-24, 15-25 and 25-19. Krista Vansant had 14 kills and 14 digs for UW.
• Dana Norris had 11 kills and five aces to guide Community Colleges of Spokane to a sweep of Treasure Valley (7-9, 2-4) in an NWAACC contest at Spokane Falls Community College. Scores were 25-20, 25-12 and 25-23.
Madison Zinsli dished out 24 assists and Brittany Evans added 11 digs for the Sasquatch (19-9, 4-1).
No. 3 UCLA (10-1, 2-0) scored twice in the second half and blanked Washington State 2-0 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Los Angeles.
WSU (7-1-3, 0-1-1) held a 4-3 shot advantage in the first half, but couldn’t hold UCLA off in the second half.
• Allie Beahan’s 45th-minute goal gave Washington (5-5-1, 1-0-1) a 1-0 Pac-12 Conference win over USC (5-5-1, 0-2) in Los Angeles.
• Cori Bianchini and Lynsey Gaines scored first-half goals to lead Portland State (6-4-1, 3-0) to a 2-0 win over Eastern Washington (2-10, 0-3) in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
• J.P Burgess scored off an assist from Darcy Kaysha in the 81st minute to give Idaho (3-8-1, 3-1) a 1-0 Western Athletic Conference win over Utah Valley (5-6, 3-1) in Orem, Utah.
• Alex Rodriguez turned away eight shots to help North Idaho shut out Salt Lake 3-0 in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match in Coeur d’Alene.
Gonzaga’s Clark Phillips scored in the 50th minute, but Saint Mary’s Alex Braman scored 5 minutes later and the Gaels (2-4-3, 0-0-1) and Bulldogs (5-2-1, 0-0-1) played to a 1-1 West Coast Conference draw in Moraga, Calif.
Ruby Roberts finished 17th in her first race of the season and led the Washington State women to a 10th-place finish at the NCAA Regional Preview meet at Haggin Oaks Golf Complex in Sacramento, Calif.
Roberts covered the 5,000-meter course in 17 minutes, 20 seconds.
• Led by Andrew Gonzales’ 39th-place finish, the Washington State men took 20th place at the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind. The EWU men took 27th place and the EWU women finished 12th.