Mesa Owsley scored and added an assist as the Washington State women’s soccer team beat Southern California 2-0 in Pac-12 play in Los Angeles on Sunday.
Kourtney Guetlein also scored for the Cougars (8-1-3, 1-1-1 Pac-12), who notched their ninth shutout of the season.
WSU hosts Colorado on Friday.
• Cassie Black became Eastern Washington’s all-time leading goal scorer, with her 18th career goal, giving the Eagles a 2-1 overtime victory over Sacramento State in Cheney.
Black’s goal, which came in the 97th minute, gave Eastern its first Big Sky Conference win of the season.
Siara Byers also scored for the Eagles (3-10, 1-3), and goalie Nathalie Schwery made eight saves.
Eastern plays at Northern Colorado on Friday.
• Jami Hegg put Whitworth on the board early with a penalty kick, but it was the Pirates’ only tally of the match in a 2-1 Northwest Conference loss to Puget Sound in Tacoma.
Andrea Stump made seven saves for Whitworth (5-5-2, 2-4-2 WCC), which hosts George Fox on Saturday.
• Emily Noethe’s second goal of the season was the only score of the match as CSU Bakersfield beat Idaho 1-0 in Western Athletic Conference play in Bakersfield, Calif.
Marina Siegl made nine saves for the Vandals (3-9, 3-2 WAC), who visit Grand Canyon on Sunday.
• Victoria Varyu and Jenny Hoefel scored to give the Gonzaga club team a 2-1 victory over North Idaho College in Coeur d’Alene. Tiffany Draper scored for the Cardinals, who host Dakota County Technical College on Friday.
Gonzaga goalkeeper Ryan Caballero recorded his fifth shutout of the season as the Bulldogs played to a scoreless tie with host San Francisco in a West Coast Conference match.
Caballero made seven saves for GU (5-2-2, 0-0-2 WCC), which hosts Loyola Marymount on Friday.
• Carson Swope’s two goals gave Puget Sound a 2-1 Northwest Conference victory over Whitworth in Tacoma. Robby Ubben scored for the Pirates (5-3-2, 3-2-1 NWC), who visit Whitman on Saturday.
• Third-ranked Washington earned a 1-1 draw at top-ranked California thanks to Taylor Peay’s late equalizing goal. The Huskies (7-0-3, 1-0-1 Pac-12) play Tuesday at Seattle University.
Colorado sent Washington State to a Pac-12 loss in Boulder, Colo., winning in four sets. The Buffaloes won 25-17, 25-21, 25-27, 25-19.
Kyra Holt led the Cougars (14-3, 1-2 Pac-12) with 19 kills and 11 digs, and Camryn Irwin had 44 assists.
WSU plays its next four matches at home, starting Friday against Arizona State.
Gonzaga finished in 14th place at the Brickyard Collegiate Golf Championship, hosted by Mercer University, in Macon, Ga.
The Bulldogs’ Peter Gullickson shot a 223 and tied for 47th place. The three medalists finished at 207.
Gonzaga shot 913 as a team. Mercer won the team title at 837.
Justin Loepker scored twice in a losing cause as the Castlegar Rebels beat the Spokane Braves 7-5 in Kootenay International Junior Hockey League play in Castlegar, B.C.
Justin Bonanno added a goal and three assists, Matt Thurston had a goal and a helper and Jonny Marzec also found the back of the net for the Braves.
Click here to comment on this story »