Washington State sophomore Cara Wegner recorded the first two-goal match of her career and the Cougars locked down defensively in a 3-0 shutout of Colorado in a Pac-12 Conference women’s soccer match Friday afternoon in Pullman.
Wegner gave WSU an early advantage with a goal in the fourth minute. She added her second goal in the 52nd minute and senior Micaela Castain scored her team-leading 11th goal in the 58th minute to cap the scoring.
Gurveen Clair made five saves and recorded her school-record ninth shutout of the season. WSU improved to 9-1-3 overall and 2-1-1 in conference play. The Buffaloes fell to 10-3 and 2-2.
• Lynn Williams scored in the 54th minute and Pepperdine held on to beat Gonzaga 1-0 in a West Coast Conference opener in Malibu, Calif.
It was the third-straight 1-0 win for the Waves (6-3-3, 1-0) over the Bulldogs (4-6-1, 0-1) in the past three years.
Pepperdine had a 24-6 advantage in shots, but GU keeper Christie Tombari made seven saves to keep the Bulldogs within striking distance.
• Northern Colorado scored two late goals and defeated Eastern Washington (3-11, 1-4) 2-1 in a Big Sky Conference match in Greeley, Colo.
The Eagles’ Katie Cashman opened the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 66th minute, but the Bears (6-4-3, 2-1-1) responded with goals from Rebecca Lancia and Danielle Birdsall late in the match.
• Havana McElvaine’s 55th-minute goal was the difference in Washington’s 1-0 Pac-12 Conference win over Utah (6-6-1, 2-1-1) in Seattle. The Huskies improved to 6-5-2 and 2-0-2 in conference play.
Jaicee Harris had 19 kills and 15 digs as Washington State snapped a two-match losing skid with a five-set win over No. 16 Arizona State (13-4, 2-3) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman. Scores were 25-23, 23-25, 25-22, 17-25 and 15-9.
Kyra Holt added 16 kills and 11 digs and Haley MacDonald dished out 38 assists for the Cougars (15-3, 2-3).
• Krista Vansant had 14 kills and 11 digs to guide No. 6 Washington (12-1, 4-1) to a 25-10, 25-20, 21-25, 25-20 Pac-12 Conference win over Arizona (12-5, 2-3) in Seattle.
• Kristine Kardell and Jalana White combined for 21 kills and Whitworth (11-9, 5-3) swept Linfield (4-10, 0-7) in a Northwest Conference match in McMinnville, Ore. Scores were 25-9, 25-20 and 25-19.
It was the second straight sweep for the Pirates. Maddye Dinsmore dished out 29 assists and Whitney Santos added 12 digs for Whitworth.
• Iris Ivanis led three players in double figures with 21 kills and Seattle (7-14, 4-2) beat Idaho (10-8, 3-3) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Seattle. Scores were 25-12, 25-21, 18-25 and 25-20. Ali Forde and Katelyn Peterson had 12 kills apiece for the Vandals.
• Dana Norris had 15 kills and Madison Zinsli added 36 assists and 13 digs as Community Colleges of Spokane beat Yakima Valley (4-11, 1-7) in a NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College. Scores were 25-11, 23-25, 25-17 and 25-19.
Jacy Vining added 11 kills and six digs for the Sasquatch (21-9, 6-1).
Jakob Granlund and Conner Bevans scored goals and Gonzaga (6-2-2, 1-0-2) held on late to edge Loyola Marymount 2-1 in a West Coast Conference match in Spokane.
The Lions’ Dylan Seedman scored in the 60th minute, but LMU (5-3-2, 1-1-1) was held in check the rest of the match.
Logan Geefs’ goal in overtime lifted North Okanogan past the Spokane Braves 2-1 in a KIJHL game at Eagles Ice-A-Rena in Spokane. Paxton Malone scored for Spokane in the third period.
Trevor Fox from the Golf Club at Black Rock tied for 13th in the Pacific Northwest PGA Professional Championship last week at Meadow Springs Country Club in Richland.
Fox completed his 54-hole score of 222 with a 3-under-par 69, tied for the best score of the third round. He finished eight shots behind the winner and earned $1,375.