Here are the answers to this week’s news quiz:
1. C. Industrial Realty Group of California is planning to convert the old smelter site into a business and industrial park.
2. B. Condon’s budget proposal calls for a 2 percent property tax increase, allowed under state law because the city did not take a 1 percent increase last year.
3. C. The Lake Pend Oreille School District is discussing a proposal to give some employees access to guns at the schools.
4. E. Landline customers have declined about 60 percent since 2001 for CenturyLink, tracking with a trend throughout the country as more people rely solely on cellphones.
5. D. The Tigers eliminated the A’s on Thursday and play the Red Sox for the American League title. The Dodgers play the Cardinals in the National League championship.
Now that you’ve had a chance to warm up your news sense, try the online version of the quiz at spokesman.com/newsquiz. Top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for free movie tickets. To give our newspaper readers a little boost, some of the questions in the newspaper quiz also appear online.
Last week’s winners are George Waldref, of Spokane, who won the gift card, and Bailey Abdnor, of Otis Orchards, who won the movie tickets.