No. 25 Mizzou upsets No. 7 Georgia
Receiver Bud Sasser threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to L’Damian Washington in the fourth quarter after quarterback James Franklin left with a shoulder injury and No. 25 Missouri held off No. 7 Georgia’s comeback to upset the Bulldogs 41-26 on Saturday in Athens, Ga.
The Tigers (6-0, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) led by 18 points in the first half before Georgia (4-2, 3-1) cut it to 28-26 in the fourth quarter.
Mizzou answered the challenge with two late touchdowns despite losing.
(1) Alabama 48, Kentucky 7: T.J. Yeldon and Kenyan Drake each ran for two TDs as the Crimson Tide (6-0, 3-0 SEC) blew out the Wildcats (1-5, 0-3) at Lexington, Ky. Alabama scored on its last eight possessions and outgained UK 668-170.
(3) Clemson 24, Boston College 14: Tajh Boyd ran for the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter and defensive end Vic Beasley followed with a 13-yard fumble recovery score to keep the Tigers (6-0, 4-0 ACC) on track for Saturday’s Atlantic Coast Conference showdown with Florida State with a win over the Eagles (3-3, 1-2) at Clemson, S.C.
(9) Texas A&M 41, Mississippi 38: Johnny Manziel threw for 346 yards and ran for two touchdowns and the Aggies (5-1, 2-1 SEC) rallied to beat the Bulldogs (3-3, 1-3) at Oxford, Miss.
(10) LSU 17, (17) Florida 6: Jeremy Hill rushed for 121 yards, Zach Mettenberger passed for 152, and the Tigers (6-1, 3-1 SEC) beat the visiting Gators (4-2, 3-1).
Texas 36, (12) Oklahoma 20: Case McCoy threw for two touchdowns, defensive tackle Chris Whaley returned an interception 31 yards for a score and the Longhorns (4-2, 3-0 Big 12) beat the Sooners (5-1, 2-1) in The Red River Rivalry at Dallas for the first win for McCoy over the Sooners.
(14) South Carolina 52, Arkansas 7: Connor Shaw threw for 219 yards and had four touchdowns as the Gamecocks (5-1, 3-1 SEC) dominated the Razorbacks (3-4, 0-3) at Fayetteville, Ark. South Carolina All-America defensive end Jadeveon Clowney returned after missing last week’s game and had one tackle.
(15) Baylor 35, Kansas State 25: Bryce Petty threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns, Ahmad Dixon made a critical interception late in the fourth quarter and the Bears (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) held on to beat the Wildcats (2-4, 0-3) at Manhattan, Kan.
Penn State 43, (18) Michigan 40 (4OT): Bill Belton ran for a 2-yard touchdown in the fourth overtime to lift the Nittany Lions (4-2, 1-1 Big Ten) past the Wolverines (5-1, 1-1) at State College, Pa., in maybe the biggest win in coach Bill O’Brien’s two seasons with Penn State.
PSU’s Christian Hackenberg was sensational in regulation on the tying drive, completing passes of 29 and 33 yards to bring the ball to the 1 with 29 seconds left from where the freshman quarterback sneaked in for the first rushing TD against Michigan this season, tying the game at 34.
Wisconsin 35, (19) Northwestern 6: Melvin Gordon ran for a 71-yard touchdown and Chris Borland led a fierce Badgers (4-2, 2-1 Big Ten) defense that figured out the Wildcats’ (4-2, 0-2) high-octane offense at Madison, Wis.
(20) Texas Tech 42, Iowa St 35: Backup quarterback Davis Webb threw for three touchdowns and 415 yards in place of the injured Baker Mayfield to lead the Red Raiders (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) over the Cyclones (1-4, 0-2) at Lubbock, Texas.
(23) Northern Illinois 27, Akron 20: Jordan Lynch threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as the Huskies (6-0, 2-0 MAC) extended their home winning streak to 23 games with a victory over the Zips (1-6, 0-3) at De Kalb, Ill.
(24) Virginia Tech 19, Pittsburgh 9: Logan Thomas threw an early touchdown pass, Cody Journell kicked four field goals and the Hokies (6-1, 3-0 ACC) sacked the Panthers’ (3-2, 2-2) eight times in a win at Blacksburg, Va.
Despite this storm, downtown CDA is packed. People are in town from all over for the half #Ironman this weekend -- Liz Burch @KHQLiz.
Here’s a news item from the Associated Press: BOISE, Idaho (AP) — An Uzbek refugee sentenced to 25 years in prison after being convicted of a plan to kill military ...
WATERSPORTS – After a short hop from Port Townsend to Victoria, British Columbia, 55 teams are on their way to Ketchikan, Alaska as part of the second Race to Alaska. ...
GRIP ON SPORTS • It may seem hard to believe, but there was a time when salt couldn't be used when it rained. Hence, the when-it-rains-it-pours saying. The post is ...
sponsored Jargon is confusing, by definition. And the financial world has its own set of cryptic words.