Broncos clip Gonzaga men
Harrison Hanley’s 79th-minute goal broke a 1-all tie and gave the Santa Clara men’s soccer team a 2-1 West Coast Conference win over Gonzaga on Friday night in Santa Clara, Calif.
It was GU’s first conference loss of the season.
Conner Bevans gave the Bulldogs (7-3-3, 2-1-3) a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute with a goal off an assist from Nick Hamer.
Hanley knotted the match at 1 in the 36th minute with an unassisted goal before his eventual winner. Santa Clara (6-7, 3-2) had a 16-11 shot advantage.
• Darwin Jones and Christian Roldan scored two goals apiece and No. 3 Washington (10-0-3, 3-0-1) beat San Diego State (3-7-1, 1-4-1) 5-3 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Seattle.
Erin Uchacz scored in the 17th minute and Oregon State’s defense held up in a 1-0 Pac-12 Conference win over Washington State in Pullman.
The Cougars (9-3-3, 2-3-1) held a 14-8 advantage in shots, but couldn’t get any past Beavers’ (4-9-2, 2-3-1) keeper Sammy Jo Prudhomme, who made four saves.
• Ashley Robertson’s goal in the 85th minute was the difference in Montana’s 1-0 Big Sky Conference win over Eastern Washington in Missoula, Mont.
EWU’s best chance at a goal came just before Robertson’s winner. The Eagles’ (3-13, 1-6) Cassie Black missed a one-on-one opportunity against Grizzlies’ (5-7-4, 2-4-1) keeper Kendra McMillen, sending her shot just right of the net.
• Erica Shelton scored in the sixth minute and Cal State-Bakersfield (4-10-1, 3-4-1) went on to beat Idaho (3-11, 3-4) 1-0 in a Western Athletic Conference match in Moscow, Idaho.
• North Idaho scored twice early in the first half and the Cardinals (6-6-2) held on to blank Salt Lake 2-0 in Salt Lake City. Emilee Cordon scored in the third minute and Natalie Middleton scored in the 16th minute.
Inky Ajanaku led a balanced attack with 10 kills and eight blocks and No. 7 Stanford (13-3, 6-1) swept Washington State (15-5, 2-5) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman. Scores were 25-17, 25-15 and 25-21.
Jaicee Harris had eight kills and 12 digs and Kate Sommer added 10 digs for WSU.
• Nicole Leonard’s kill – her fifth of the final set – gave Whitworth (12-9, 6-3) a five-set win over Willamette (6-12, 2-7) in a Northwest Conference match in Salem, Ore. Scores were 25-23, 25-19, 18-25, 23-25 and 18-16.
Leonard finished with 20 kills and 17 digs. Jalana White added 19 kills for the Pirates, with six coming in the fifth set.
• Community Colleges of Spokane (25-10) won two of three matches at the Green River Crossover tournament in Auburn, Wash. The Sasquatch beat Lower Columbia (7-18) and Everett (3-13) before falling to Mt. Hood (21-6).