Timmy Mueller’s goal in overtime gave defending state champion Post Falls a 3-2 win over Lake City in the 5A Region I boys title match Saturday in Coeur d’Alene.
Mueller carried the Trojans, scoring all three of their goals.
Lake City’s Jack Barrett opened the scoring in the sixth minute, but Mueller scored his first goal in the 24th minute to knot the game at 1.
Mueller’s 57th-minute goal gave Post Falls a 2-1 advantage, but Barrett responded in the 76th minute to force overtime.
Both teams qualified for the State 5A tournament, which will be held Oct. 24-26 at Eagle and Rocky Mountain high schools.
• Sophomore Jake Tremble scored two goals in the second half to lead Bonners Ferry over St. Maries 3-0 in the 3A District I-II title match. Cameron Woods opened the scoring for the Badgers with a 43rd-minute goal. Bonners Ferry will play Sugar-Salem in the first round of the State 3A tournament on Oct. 24 at Vallivue High School.
Washington State’s Andrew Gonzales and Ruby Roberts were the top Division I finishers at the Inland Empire Classic in Lewiston. Gonzales won the men’s 8,000-meter race in 23 minutes, 29 seconds.
Gonzaga’s Willie Milam was second in 23:32 and WSU’s Todd Wakefield was third in 23:43.
The Cougar men won the team title, followed by Gonzaga and Eastern Washington. EWU’s top finisher was Chris Schroll, who finished seventh in 24:13.
Roberts finished the women’s 6,000-meter race in 16:58. EWU’s Katie Mohoney was second in 17:17.
Eastern Washington claimed the team title. WSU was second, Gonzaga was third and Idaho was fourth.
Community Colleges of Spokane’s Jessica Mildes was second in the lower division race. She covered the 6,000-meter course in 17:06, breaking her own school record by 30 seconds.
• Whitworth junior Christina Williams was the individual champion and the Pirates took the team title at the Lewis & Clark Invitational at McIver Park in Estacada, Ore.
Williams completed the 6,000-meter course in 22:15.
Christina Higgins had 19 kills and California (11-6, 4-4) responded after dropping the first set and beat Washington State (15-6, 2-6) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman. Ver’Leea Hardaway and Kyra Holt had 14 kills apiece for the Cougars, who lost their third straight.
• No. 20 BYU set the tone with an 8-2 run to end the first set and the Cougars (16-3, 8-0) went on to sweep Gonzaga (8-10, 4-5) in a West Coast Conference match in Spokane. Scores were 25-20, 25-14 and 25-17. GU’s Savannah Blinn recorded a team-high eight kills and Lyndsay Palmer dished out 17 assists.
• Ashley Christman had 10 kills as Idaho (12-8, 5-3) swept Chicago State (2-20, 0-8) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Moscow, Idaho. Scores: 25-12, 25-21 and 25-19.
• Brigitte Russo had 18 kills as Lewis & Clark (5-11, 4-6) edged Whitworth (12-10, 6-4) in a Northwest Conference match in Portland. Scores were 25-23, 22-25, 17-25, 25-23 and 15-13. Jalana White led three Pirates in double figures with 21 kills.
• Tressa Lyman had a match-high 16 kills and Idaho State (13-8, 7-3) topped Eastern Washington (7-14, 4-6) in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney. Scores were 25-20, 20-25, 25-16 and 25-13. EWU sophomore Allie Schumacher posted her fourth double-double of the season with 14 kills and 12 digs.
• Larissa Claasen and Anyssa Matheson led a balanced charge with nine kills apiece and North Idaho (12-7, 5-2) swept Eastern Utah (5-17, 1-6) in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match in Coeur d’Alene. Leeta Grap added eight kills, seven aces and 11 digs for NIC.
• Community Colleges of Spokane (27-11) beat Umpqua (4-25) and Green River (13-12) before falling to Mt. Hood (24-6) at the Green River Crossover Tournament in Auburn, Wash.
Noelle LaPrevotte scored in overtime to give No. 5 Portland (12-1-1, 4-0) a 2-1 West Coast Conference win over Gonzaga (5-7-1, 1-2) in Portland, Ore.
• Kylie Beeson scored twice to guide Puget Sound (8-2-2, 6-1-2) to a 3-0 Northwest Conference win over Whitworth (6-6-2, 3-5-2) in Spokane.
• Tasha Luu scored two second-half goals to guide Community Colleges of Spokane (11-0-4, 9-0-3) past Yakima Valley (1-13, 0-12) 5-0 in an NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College.
• North Idaho got its offense going late in a 4-0 nonconference win over Colorado State’s club team in Salt Lake City. The Cardinals’ Emilee Cordon scored twice.
Robby Ubben’s 13th-minute goal held up in Whitworth’s 1-0 Northwest Conference win over Puget Sound (9-4, 7-1) in Spokane. Rylan Berriman assisted on the goal. The Pirates improved to 7-3-2 overall and 5-2-1 in the NWC.
Idaho’s Jose Bendeck and Cristobal Ramos Salazar won three doubles matches at the ITA Mountain Regional in Las Vegas to secure a spot in next month’s National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships.
It’s the third straight year a Vandals duo has qualified for the championships, which will be held Nov. 7-10 at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.
Nine players scored at least five points in Gonzaga’s team scrimmage during Fan Fest at the McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane. Sunny Greinacher tallied 15 points and seven rebounds in the Red squad’s 49-37 win over the Blue.
Kurtis Klinger scored a power-play goal in overtime to give the Princeton Posse (4-8-0-1) a 3-2 win over the Spokane Braves (3-9-0-2) in KIJHL play in Princeton, B.C.
Click here to comment on this story »