Jameis Winston threw for 444 yards and three touchdowns and No. 5 Florida State crushed No. 3 Clemson 51-14 Saturday night in Clemson, S.C., making statement that should be heard from Alabama to Oregon.
The Atlantic Coast Conference’s game of the year, billed as maybe the league’s biggest game in history, quickly became a Seminoles’ seminar on how to take apart a top-five foe on its hostile home turf.
Winston was 22 for 34 for Florida State (6-0, 4-0 ACC).
Tajh Boyd threw two interceptions for Clemson (6-1, 4-1), and his first-quarter fumble was returned 37 yards for a TD.
(1) Alabama 52, Arkansas 0: AJ McCarron threw three TD passes and Kenyan Drake rushed for 104 yards and two scores to lead the Crimson Tide (7-0, 4-0 SEC) in a rout of the Razorbacks (3-5, 0-4) in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(4) Ohio State 34, Iowa 24: Carlos Hyde ran for 149 yards, including 106 yards and two TDs in the second half, to lead the Buckeyes (7-0, 3-0 Big Ten) to a victory over the Hawkeyes (4-3, 1-2) in Columbus, Ohio.
Mississippi 27, (6) LSU 24: Andrew Ritter made a 41-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining to lead the Rebels (4-3, 2-3 SEC) to an upset over the Tigers (6-2, 3-2) in Oxford, Miss.
Ole Miss led by as many 17 points and was ahead until LSU’s Zach Mettenberger hit Jarvis Landry for a 4-yard TD to tie it at 24 with 3:19 remaining.
(24) Auburn 45, (7) Texas A&M 41: Nick Marshall accounted for four scores and the Tigers (6-1, 3-1 SEC) battered Johnny Manziel in a win over the host Aggies (5-2, 2-2).
Manziel threw for 454 yards and four TDs and ran for a fifth score, but also had two interceptions.
Marshall threw for 236 yards and two TDs and ran for 100 yards and two TDs.
Tennessee 23, (11) South Carolina 21: Michael Palardy made a 19-yard field goal as time expired in Knoxville, Tenn., to give Tennessee (4-3, 1-2 SEC) an upset victory over the Gamecocks (5-2, 3-2) that ended the Volunteers’ 19-game losing streak against ranked opponents.
(12) Baylor 71, Iowa State 7: Bryce Petty threw for 343 yards and two TDs, Antwan Goodley had 182 yards receiving and two scores, and the Bears (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) tied a school record with their 10th straight win, crushing the Cyclones (1-5, 0-3) in Waco, Texas.
(14) Missouri 36, (22) Florida 17: Maty Mauk threw for 295 yards in his first career start and Andrew Baggett converted five field goals to help the Tigers (7-0, 3-0 SEC) defeat the Gators (4-3, 3-2) in Columbia, Mo., and open a two-game lead in the East Division.
Vanderbilt 31, (15) Georgia 27: Jerron Seymour ran for a 13-yard TD with 2:53 left, and the Commodores (4-3, 1-3 SEC) rallied from a 13-point deficit by scoring 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to upset the Bulldogs (4-3, 3-2) in Nashville, Tenn.
(16) Texas Tech 37, West Virginia 27: Davis Webb threw two TD passes and the Red Raiders (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) scored 21 straight points in the second half to beat the Mountaineers (3-4, 1-3) in Morgantown, W.Va.
(17) Fresno State 38, UNLV 17: Derek Carr threw for 412 yards and connected with Davante Adams on four TD passes as the Bulldogs (6-0, 3-0 MWC) beat the Rebels (4-3, 2-1) in Fresno, Calif., for their best start in 12 seasons.
(18) Oklahoma 34, Kansas 19: Blake Bell threw for 131 yards and two TDs, and the Sooners (6-1, 3-1 Big 12) shook off a 13-0 deficit to beat the Jayhawks (2-4, 0-3) in Lawrence, Kan.
(21) Oklahoma State 24, TCU 10: Josh Stewart had 10 catches for 141 yards and had a 95-yard punt return for a TD to carry the Cowboys (5-1, 2-1 Big 12) to a homecoming victory over the Horned Frogs (3-4, 1-3) in Stillwater, Okla.
(23) Northern Illinois 31, Central Michigan 17: Jordan Lynch rushed for 316 yards, an FBS record for a QB, and the Huskies (7-0, 3-0 MAC) stayed unbeaten with a victory over the Chippewas (3-5, 2-2) in Mount Pleasant, Mich.
(24) Wisconsin 56, Illinois 32: Melvin Gordon rushed for 142 yards and three TDs to lead the Badgers (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) to a romp over the Illini (3-3, 0-2) in Champaign, Ill.