October 26, 2013 in Washington Voices

Hot ashes spark fire at Valley home

By The Spokesman-Review
 

Fire destroyed a portion of a home at 5523 N. Best Road on Sunday. Crews from Spokane County Fire District 9 and Spokane Valley Fire Department responded.
(Full-size photo)

Hot ashes were to blame for a fire that largely consumed a home at 5523 N. Best Road on Sunday. A passing driver spotted the flames and called it in.

The residents had cleaned ashes out of a fireplace and put them in a combustible container placed next to the deck, said Spokane Valley Fire Department Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. The ashes set the container on fire, which spread to the deck and then the home, Clifford said. They were not home at the time of the fire.

“Ashes, whether cold or hot, should be placed in a noncombustible container,” he said.

The home sustained more than $200,000 in damage, Clifford said. Forker and Best roads were closed for several hours while firefighters worked. Crews from Spokane County Fire District 9 also responded to the fire.

Other recent events

Oct. 19: Smoke was reported coming from an apartment at 2020 N. Cherry St. A heat lamp placed too close to combustibles was the culprit.

By the numbers: Crews responded to 216 calls, including 178 for emergency medical services. Responses included two illegal outdoor fires, a seized up furnace motor, nine car accidents, a woman who locked herself out of her house and a 2-year-old locked inside a bathroom.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email