Tigers fall in OT
Connor Shaw came off the bench in the second half and threw for 201 yards and three touchdowns and Elliott Fry kicked the game-winning field goal to help No. 20 South Carolina stun No. 5 Missouri 27-24 in two overtimes Saturday night in Columbia, Mo.
After missing the first half with a sprained left knee, Shaw entered the game in the third quarter and helped the Gamecocks (6-2, 4-2 Southeastern Conference) score the final 17 points of regulation. He then threw a 15-yard TD pass on fourth down in the Gamecocks’ first overtime to match the Tigers’ Marcus Murphy’s 1-yard scamper.
Fry then kicked a 40-yarder before Andrew Baggett missed a 24-yard attempt off the left goal post for Missouri (7-1, 3-1).
(1) Alabama 45, Tennessee 10: T.J. Yeldon scored on three 1-yard runs and AJ McCarron passed for 275 yards and two TDs to help the Crimson Tide (8-0, 5-0 Southeastern Conference) continue to roll along with a victory over the Volunteers (4-4, 1-3) in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(3) Florida State 49, North Carolina State 17: Jameis Winston threw for 292 yards and three TDs and the Seminoles (7-0, 5-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) scored 35 points in the first quarter on the way to a win over the Wolfpack (3-4, 0-4) in Tallahassee, Fla.
(4) Ohio State 63, Penn State 14: Braxton Miller passed for three TDs and ran for two more and Carlos Hyde rushed for 147 yards and two scores to lead the Buckeyes (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten) over the Nittany Lions (4-3, 1-2) in Columbus, Ohio.
(6) Baylor 59, Kansas 14: Bryce Petty threw for 430 yards and three TDs in fewer than three quarters, Lache Seastrunk ran for 109 yards and a score and the Bears (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) crushed the Jayhawks (2-5, 0-4) in Lawrence, Kan.
(7) Miami 24, Wake Forest 21: Duke Johnson ran for two fourth-quarter TDs, the second a 1-yard plunge with 53 seconds left, as the Hurricanes (7-0, 3-0 ACC) rallied twice to beat the Demon Deacons (4-4, 2-3) in Miami Gardens, Fla.
(9) Clemson 40, Maryland 27: Tajh Boyd threw for 304 yards and a TD and ran for a score, Sammy Watkins had a school-record 14 catches for 163 yards and the visiting Tigers (7-1, 5-1 ACC) defeated the Terrapins (5-3, 1-3).
(11) Auburn 45, Florida Atlantic 10: Freshman Jeremy Johnson threw two long TD passes to Sammie Coates after replacing injured starter Nick Marshall in the second quarter and the Tigers (7-1) whipped the Owls (2-6) in Auburn, Ala.
(17) Oklahoma 38, (10) Texas Tech 30: Blake Bell threw for 249 yards and a pair of TDs – both to Jalen Saunders – and Damien Williams rushed for 97 yards and two scores as the Sooners (7-1, 4-1 Big 12) dealt the Red Raiders (7-1, 4-1) their first loss with a win in Norman, Okla.
(13) LSU 48, Furman 16: Odell Beckham Jr. caught six passes for 204 yards and two scores, Terrance Magee added two second-half TD runs and the Tigers (7-2) pulled away from the FCS Paladins (3-5) in Baton Rouge, La.
(14) Texas A&M 56, Vanderbilt 24: Johnny Manziel threw for 305 yards and four TDs in less than three quarters, and the Aggies (6-2, 3-2 SEC) cruised past the visiting Commodores (4-4, 1-4).
(15) Fresno State 35, San Diego State 28 (OT): At San Diego, the Aztecs (3-4, 2-1 MWC) rallied from a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit to force overtime but the Bulldogs (7-0, 4-0) won on Marteze Waller’s 1-yard run in OT.
Duke 13, (16) Virginia Tech 10: Anthony Boone ran for a score, Ross Martin kicked two long field goals and the visiting Blue Devils (6-2, 2-2 ACC) ended a long history of losing to ranked teams with a win over the Hokies (6-2, 3-1).
Duke beat a ranked team for the first time since they stopped No. 13 Virginia in 1994, and beat one on the road for the first time since Stanford in 1971.
(18) Louisville 34, South Florida 3: Teddy Bridgewater threw for 344 yards and three TDs and the Cardinals (7-1, 3-1 AAC) dominated the Bulls (2-5, 2-1) in Tampa, Fla.
(19) Oklahoma State 58, Iowa State 27: Desmond Roland ran for a career-high 219 yards and four TDs to power the Cowboys (6-1, 3-1 Big 12) to a win over the Cyclones (1-6, 0-4) in Ames, Iowa.
(21) Central Florida 62, Connecticut 17: Blake Bortles threw four TD passes and ran for another score and the Knights (6-1, 3-0_ AAC) routed the winless Huskies (0-7, 0-3) in Orlando, Fla.
(23) Northern Illinois 59, Eastern Michigan 20: Jordan Lynch threw four TD passes and caught a pass for a score as the Huskies (8-0, 4-0 MAC) crushed the Eagles (1-7, 0-4) in De Kalb, Ill.
Minnesota 34, (25) Nebraska 23: Philip Nelson rushed for two TDs and passed for another, guiding the Golden Gophers (6-2, 2-2 Big Ten) to an upset win over the Cornhuskers (5-2, 2-1) – their first since 1960 – in Minneapolis.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.