Whitworth’s fifth-set rally falls short
The Whitworth volleyball team charged back in the fifth set but fell short in a Northwest Conference loss to Pacific Saturday in Spokane. Scores were 26-28, 25-17, 25-20, 10-25 and 18-16.
The Pirates used a 7-1 rally in the final set to take the lead, but the Boxers (7-12, 6-6) regrouped and closed it out.
Nicole Leonard had a match-high 19 kills and Jalana White and Kristine Kardell added 16 kills apiece for Whitworth (13-11, 7-5). The Pirates’ Maddy Dinsmore handed out 59 assists.
• Karsta Lowe had 22 kills to guide UCLA (12-8, 3-7) to a 25-18, 18-25, 25-19, 25-16 win over Washington State (15-8, 2-8) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Los Angeles.
Kyra Holt had 12 kills, 12 digs and six blocks and Marcelina Glab added 10 kills and six blocks for the Cougars.
• Debora Guitare tallied a match-high 22 kills and Cal State-Bakersfield (15-9, 7-3) responded after a first-set loss and beat Idaho (13-9, 6-4) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Bakersfield, Calif. Scores were 23-25, 25-17, 25-17 and 25-23.
Alyssa Schultz and Katelyn Peterson combined for 22 kills for the Vandals.
• Sloan Lovett and Kayla Beal had 13 kills apiece and Sacramento State (12-11, 7-5) topped Eastern Washington 25-27, 25-23, 25-15 and 25-21 in a Big Sky Conference match in Sacramento, Calif.
Talia Fermantez had 11 kills and seven blocks for the Eagles (7-15, 4-7)
• Litara Keil had 17 kills and Hannah Tedrow dished out 42 assists as Loyola Marymount (11-9, 6-5) swept Gonzaga (8-12, 4-7) in a West Coast Conference match in Los Angeles. Scores were 25-20, 25-21, 25-21.
Savannah Blinn tallied a team-high eight kills for the Bulldogs.
San Diego State (10-7, 3-3) overcame an early deficit with three second-half goals and beat Gonzaga 3-1 in a West Coast Conference match in Spokane.
Kasey Rubosky gave the Bulldogs (5-9-1, 1-4) an early advantage with a goal in the 4th minute. But the Toreros’ Meggie Gulczynski scored twice early in the second half and Meghan O’Rourke added an insurance goal late.
• Kat Tsoukalas and Laura Seymour scored goals in the first 10 minutes and Community Colleges of Spokane went on to blank Treasure Valley (1-9-4, 1-9-4) 4-0 in an NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College.
Sydni Thomas and Lindsay DeHaas also scored for the Sasquatch (13-0-4, 11-0-3).
Devin Leon scored a goal in each half to power Community Colleges of Spokane’s 5-0 shutout of Treasure Valley (3-8-1, 3-8-1) in an NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College.
Xavier Day added a goal and an assist for the Sasquatch (12-4-2, 7-3-1). CCS’ keeper Curtis Hill had four saves.
The Gonzaga men’s and women’s 8-plus boats beat Washington State at the Head of the Spokane Regatta at the Gonzaga Boathouse on the Spokane River. The Bulldog men completed the 5,000-meter course in 15 minutes, 28 seconds. The Cougars finished in 15:37.
The Gonzaga women posted a time of 16:34, four seconds faster than Washington State.
North Idaho’s Nicholas Moreno (165 pounds), V.J. Giulio (197) and Taylor Kornoely (285) all had pins and the Cardinals beat Montana State-Northern 30-16 in a dual in Coeur d’Alene.
Carlos Lazoya (133), Kit Major (149) and Jeremy Golding (157) also won their matches for NIC.
Michael Bell scored twice to guide the Beaver Valley Nitehawks (10-4-0-0) past the Spokane Braves 5-4 in a KIJHL game in Fruitvale, British Columbia.
Sean Collins scored twice for Spokane (3-10-0-2).