Arrow-right Camera

Nation/World

In brief: Syria declares 41 chemical facilities

Tue., Oct. 29, 2013, midnight

UNITED NATIONS – The chief of the global chemical weapons watchdog says Syria has declared 41 facilities at 23 chemical sites where it stored approximately 1,300 tons of chemical precursors and agents and 1,230 unfilled munitions.

Ahmet Uzumcu said in his first report to the Security Council, obtained Monday by the Associated Press, that inspectors overseeing the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile had corroborated information provided by Syria at 37 of the 41 facilities.

But the chemical watchdog said inspectors couldn’t visit two sites because of security risks, which meant an Oct. 27 deadline to visit all declared sites was missed.

Bombings, ambush leave 11 dead in Iraq

BAGHDAD – Two bombings and an ambush of a police checkpoint in Iraq killed 11 people in and west of the capital on Monday, officials said.

Police officials said the deadliest attack took place at night when a bomb exploded inside a cafe full of customers in southwestern Baghdad, killing six and wounding 16.

Hours earlier, three people were killed and five others wounded when a bomb went off in a commercial street in the Abu Ghraib area to the west of the capital.

Also, gunmen sprayed a security checkpoint with bullets in the city of Fallujah, a former al-Qaida stronghold 40 miles from Baghdad, killing two police officers.

Canadian, 71, charged over items in luggage

MONTREAL – A 71-year-old man who was booked on a flight to Los Angeles faces three charges after parts of a potential explosive device were found in his carry-on luggage at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport.

Antony Piazza, a Canadian of Iranian origin, was charged Monday with mischief, endangering the safety of an aircraft or airport and being in illegal possession of an explosive substance.

Piazza, who is originally from Tehran, changed his name in the 1980s from Houshang Nazemi, said the man’s lawyer, Louis Morena.

He previously served a 10-year sentence under that name in Canadian prison for smuggling drugs into the country.

Police found wires, bullets and a powder inside the bag, Morena said.

Ex-minister’s detention upsets South Africa

JOHANNESBURG – South Africa’s ruling party is demanding the U.S. apologize after former government minister Tokyo Sexwale was detained last week at an American airport.

The African National Congress alleged Monday that Sexwale’s name is on a U.S. terrorist watch list because of his role in the party that fought apartheid.

The ANC was removed from the State Department’s list of terror organizations years ago, but many members remained on watch lists.

Former President Nelson Mandela was taken off U.S. immigration watch lists in 2008. Sexwale was imprisoned on Robben Island along with Mandela.


 

Click here to comment on this story »