Bucks were worth more when Bucs were good
The Pittsburgh Pirates won the National League East for the third straight year in 1992. It remains the last time the Pirates finished the season with a winning record, the longest stretch of futility in North American professional sports history.
Pittsburgh, locked in a battle for the National League Central title with Cincinnati and St. Louis, should break “The Streak” this month, and could make the postseason.
Here’s a snapshot of life in 1992:
• Cost of a gallon of gas: $1.12.
• Highest grossing movie: Aladdin, $217 million.
• No. 1 song: End of the Road by Boys II Men.
• Cost of a gallon of milk: $2.78.
• Barry Bonds career home run total: 176.
• Highest paid player: Bobby Bonilla, $6.2 million.
• Median Household Income: $30,636.
• Cell phone subscribers: 11 million.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.