The Pittsburgh Pirates won the National League East for the third straight year in 1992. It remains the last time the Pirates finished the season with a winning record, the longest stretch of futility in North American professional sports history.
Pittsburgh, locked in a battle for the National League Central title with Cincinnati and St. Louis, should break “The Streak” this month, and could make the postseason.
Here’s a snapshot of life in 1992:
• Cost of a gallon of gas: $1.12.
• Highest grossing movie: Aladdin, $217 million.
• No. 1 song: End of the Road by Boys II Men.
• Cost of a gallon of milk: $2.78.
• Barry Bonds career home run total: 176.
• Highest paid player: Bobby Bonilla, $6.2 million.
• Median Household Income: $30,636.
• Cell phone subscribers: 11 million.