Terrence Magee ran for two second-half touchdowns, Zach Mettenberger threw for 251 yards with a key late score and 12th-ranked LSU held on for a 37-27 victory over No. 20 TCU late Saturday night in Arlington, Texas.
Odell Beckham’s 75-yard kickoff return set up a 20-yard TD pass from Mettenberger to Jarvis Landry with 6 minutes left.
All in all the Tigers’ first game with new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron calling the plays provided a promising start to the season.
( 1) Alabama 35, Virginia Tech 10: At Atlanta, Christion Jones had two returns for touchdowns, Vinnie Sunseri brought back an interception for another TD, and the top-ranked Crimson Tide (1-0) overcame a sluggish offensive performance to beat the Hokies (0-1).
(2) Ohio State 40, Buffalo 20: At Columbus, Ohio, Braxton Miller threw two touchdown passes before fighting leg cramps and Jordan Hall ran for two more scores to lead the Buckeyes (1-0) to a victory the Bulls (0-1).
(7) Texas A&M 52, Rice 31: At College Station, Texas, after serving his first-half suspension, Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel threw three TD passes and scrambled for 19 yards – ran his mouth a bit, too – as the Aggies beat the Owls.
Manziel was removed following an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for pointing at the scoreboard after a TD pass in the fourth quarter.
(10) Florida 24, Toledo 6: At Gainesville, Fla., Mack Brown ran 25 times for 112 yards and two touchdowns and Jeff Driskel completed 17 of 22 passes for 153 yards and a score to lead the Gators (1-0) over the Rockets (0-1).
(13) Oklahoma State 21, Mississippi State 3: At Houston, J.W. Walsh threw for 135 yards and ran for another 125 and a touchdown to lead the Cowboys (1-0) to a win over the Bulldogs (0-1). Walsh finished 18 of 27 after relieving starter Clint Chelf on Oklahoma State’s third series.
(14) Notre Dame 28, Temple 6: At South Bend, Ind., Tommy Rees threw a pair of 32-yard TD passes to DaVaris Daniels, a 66-yard scoring pass to Troy Niklas and the Irish (1-0) had three quick scoring drives to beat the Owls (0-1).
(15) Texas 56, New Mexico 7: At Austin, Texas, David Ash threw four touchdown passes and ran for another as the the Longhorns (1-0) shook off a slow start to roll over the Aggies (0-1).
(16) Oklahoma 34, Louisiana-Monroe 0: At Norman, Okla., Trevor Knight rushed for 103 yards on 13 carries and threw three touchdown passes in his first start and the Sooners (1-0) beat the Warhawks (0-1) for Sooners coach Bob Stoops’ 150th career win.
(17) Michigan 59, Central Michigan 9: At Ann Arbor, Mich., Devin Gardner ran for two touchdowns and threw for another in the first half as the Wolverines (1-0) went on to beat the Chippewas (0-1) in the highest-scoring opener for Michigan.
(18) Nebraska 37, Wyoming 34: At Lincoln, Neb., Ameer Abdullah and Imani Cross each ran for more than 100 yards, Taylor Martinez passed for three touchdowns and the Cornhuskers (1-0) survived two late turnovers to defeat the Cowboys (0-1) and win their nation-leading 28th straight opener.
(23) Wisconsin 45, UMass 0: At Madison, Wis., Melvin Gordon ran for 144 yards, James White added 143 and the Badgers (1-0) revamped defense shutout the Minutemen (0-1).
High school and college football are here, so we can no longer pretend. Summer is going, going, almost gone. Yet, the weather remains nice. And the tourists are about to ...
Playing on the road in the Northwest League is never easy.
FISHING/HUNTING -- The recent breach of online hunting-fishing license sales appears to have exposed personal information for more than 2 million Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife customers, officials said ...
Donald Trump will hold a rally at the Xfinity Arena in Everett at 7 p.m. Tuesday, his campaign said today. The rally went up on the official campaign schedule, which ...
sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.