In brief: Video shows man accused of killing wife
MIAMI – A home surveillance video shows a man accused of killing his wife and then posting a picture of her bloody body on Facebook walk away from a confrontation and then return moments later to fire a gun.
The weapon can’t be seen in the video released Tuesday by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office to The Miami Herald. But the surveillance camera picked up the swirl of gunpowder in the air from when authorities say 31-year-old Derek Medina fatally shot 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso at their South Miami home on Aug. 8.
The footage also shows Medina calmly retrieving a jacket and his phone, apparently stopping to take a photo of Alfonso’s body and then walking out of the townhome.
Medina has claimed that his wife was the aggressor and that he was acting in self-defense.
Navy officials face conspiracy charges
SAN DIEGO – A Navy contractor, a commander and a Navy criminal investigator were arrested and charged with conspiracy in a bribery scheme to reap millions of dollars in port contracts worldwide, federal prosecutors announced Tuesday.
Leonard Francis was arrested Monday in San Diego, Cmdr. Michael Misiewicz was arrested in Colorado, and NCIS Supervisory Special Agent John Beliveau II was arrested in Virginia, the U.S. attorney’s office said in a statement. Each faces up to five years in prison if convicted of conspiracy to commit bribery.
Francis, a Malaysian national who lives in Singapore, is the president and CEO of Singapore-based Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd., which has had “husbanding” contracts for Navy ships at ports worldwide for 25 years.
Prosecutors contend that Francis conspired to bribe the other men with luxury travel, prostitutes and gifts in exchange for information that allowed him to overcharge on port contracts by millions of dollars.
Bodies found in lake may solve cold cases
ELK CITY, Okla. – Authorities in Oklahoma on Tuesday recovered two vehicles from a lake that contain the bodies of five people who may have been missing for decades.
The cars recovered from Foss Lake in western Oklahoma may solve cold cases from the late 1950s and 1970. The Daily Elk Citian reported that the vehicles appear to match a Camaro missing with three Sayre teenagers since 1970 and an older Chevrolet with two Canute residents missing since the late 1950s or early 1960s.
Authorities have not identified who the remains belong to.
“It’s just been under water for 40 years. It’s a mucky mess,” Custer County Sheriff Bruce Peoples told KWEY radio.
In addition to the Custer County Sheriff’s Department, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation and the state medical examiner’s office were on scene Tuesday.
Authorities accidentally discovered the cars. Betsy Randolph, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, said dive teams were at Foss Lake conducting training with sonar when they came upon the vehicles last week.
The remains were turned over to the medical examiner’s office.