Pirates rally for win in NWC opener
The Whitworth volleyball team ended the fifth set on an 8-3 run and edged Willamette in a Northwest Conference opener Friday night in Spokane, 25-23, 27-25, 17-25, 23-25, 15-12.
Jalana White had 20 kills and 15 digs and Maddye Dinsmore dished out 56 assists and added 16 digs for the Pirates (7-6, 1-0).
Whitworth’s Kristine Kardell added 14 kills, with four coming in the Pirates’ fifth-set rally.
Carly Hargrave led four Willamette (4-6, 0-1) players in double figures with 12 kills.
Whitworth plays host to Lewis & Clark today.
• Washington State wrapped up the nonconference portion of its schedule with a 13-0 record following wins over Seattle and Nevada at the Cougar Invitational in Pullman.
Kyra Holt and Ver’Leea Hardaway had 12 kills apiece as the Cougars eased past Seattle (2-12) in their opening match, 25-13, 25-15 25-20.
Camryn Irwin dished out 28 assists and added six digs for the Cougars.
Holt had a team-high 13 kills and Kate Sommer added 15 digs in WSU’s 25-8, 25-19, 20-25, 25-17 win over Nevada (2-9).
WSU opens Pac-12 Conference play at home against rival Washington on Wednesday.
• Katelyn Peterson had 13 kills and seven digs as Idaho (7-5) dismissed Nevada (2-13) 25-21, 25-17, 25-23 at the Cougar Invitational in Pullman.
Idaho’s Alyssa Schultz had 10 kills and Meredith Coba added 30 assists and three aces.
An unassisted goal by Jorge Alvarez in the 36th minute was the difference in Illinois-Chicago’s 1-0 nonconference win over No. 19 Gonzaga in Chicago.
The Bulldogs (3-2) outshot the Flames (4-2) 15-10.
Kate Bennett’s goal from 18 yards out in the 30th minute was the difference in Washington’s 1-0 nonconference win over Gonzaga in Seattle.
The Bulldogs (3-4) had opportunities – they outshot the Huskies (4-4) 13-8 – but couldn’t get any past Washington keeper Megan Kufeld, who made five saves.
• Macaela Castain scored off an assist from Kourtney Guetlein in the 32nd minute and Washington’s State defense held up in a 1-0 nonconference win over Cal State Fullerton (3-3-2) in Fullerton, Calif.
The Cougars (6-0-2) play at UC Irvine on Sunday.
• Kayla Delgado’s goal in double overtime lifted Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (1-7) past Eastern Washington 2-1 in a nonconference match in Fargo, N.D.
Katie Cashman gave EWU (6-1-1) a 1-0 lead in the 34th minute. The Cougars’ Tory Pitts knotted the contest at 1 in the 71st minute.
• Tasha Luu and Rainey Pelzel scored two goals apiece to lead Community Colleges of Spokane (4-0-2, 2-0-1) to a 4-0 shutout of Green River (3-2-2, 0-2-1) in an NWAACC contest at Spokane Falls CC.
Luu and Pelzel each scored in the first 10 minutes for the Sasquatch.
Castlegar scored twice in the first period and held on to beat the Spokane Braves 4-2 in KIJHL play at Eagles Ice-A-Rena. Justin Bonanno and Sean Collins scored for Spokane.
Kazlyn Roullier had nine kills and Keann White added five blocks as Central Valley (2-1, 1-0) swept Mt. Spokane 25-17, 25-16, 25-20 in a Greater Spokane League match at CV.
Arianna Newcomb had 10 kills and eight digs for the Wildcats (2-1, 0-1).