Georgia wins top-10 battle with LSU
Aaron Murray threw four touchdown passes, including a 25-yarder to Justin Scott-Wesley with 1:47 remaining, and No. 9 Georgia (3-1, 2-0) rallied to beat No. 6 LSU 44-41 in a thrilling game between Southeastern Conference powerhouses in Athens, Ga.
LSU (4-1, 1-1) got a career-best 372 yards passing from former Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger, and the Tigers went ahead 41-37 on Jeremy Hill’s 8-yard TD run with 4:14 left.
Murray ran for the Bulldogs’ other TD and finished with 298 yards passing in Georgia’s second win over a top-10 team.
(1) Alabama 25, (21) Mississippi 0: T.J. Yeldon rushed for 121 yards and a TD, Kenyan Drake gained 99 with a score and a dominating defense powered the Crimson Tide (4-0, 2-0 SEC) to a victory over Rebels (3-1, 1-1) in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Ole Miss was seeking its first 4-0 start in 43 years but instead was shut out for the first time since Arkansas did it in November 1998.
(3) Clemson 56, Wake Forest 7: Tajh Boyd became the second Atlantic Coast Conference QB to account for 100 career TDs and sparked the Tigers (4-0, 2-0) to an easy victory over the Demon Deacons (2-3, 0-2) in Clemson, S.C.
Boyd had three TD passes and ran for another score. He stands at 102 TDs in college, joining former North Carolina State QB Phillip Rivers in the ACC’s century club. Boyd passed for 311 yards and ran for 69 to surpass Charlie Whitehurst as Clemson’s total offense leader.
(4) Ohio State 31, (23) Wisconsin 24: Braxton Miller threw a career-high four TD passes in his first game in three weeks and the Buckeyes (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) ran the nation’s longest winning streak to 17 games with a victory over the Badgers (3-2, 1-1) in Columbus, Ohio.
(8) Florida State 48, Boston College 34: Jameis Winston had four TD passes, including a 55-yard Hail Mary toss as time expired in the first half, to help the Seminoles (4-0, 2-0 ACC) rally from a 14-point deficit to beat the Eagles (2-2, 1-1) in Boston.
West Virginia 30, (11) Oklahoma State 21: Clint Trickett passed for 309 yards and a TD in his first start, Ishmael Banks returned an interception for a score and the Mountaineers (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) shocked the Cowboys (3-1, 0-1) in Morgantown, W.Va.
(10) Texas A&M 45, Arkansas 33: Johnny Manziel accounted for 320 total yards of offense and threw two TD passes to Mike Evans as the Aggies (4-1, 1-1 SEC) held off the Razorbacks (3-2, 0-1) in Fayetteville, Ark.
(12) South Carolina 28, Central Florida 25: Mike Davis rushed 26 times for 167 yards and three TDs as the Gamecocks (3-1) overcame a first-quarter injury to starting QB Connor Shaw and four turnovers to beat the Knights (3-1) in Orlando, Fla.
(14) Oklahoma 35, (22) Notre Dame. 21: Blake Bell threw a 54-yard TD pass to Sterling Shepard in the fourth quarter after Notre Dame had pulled within six points and the Sooners (4-0) beat the Irish (3-2) for the second time in 11 tries.
The loss ended Notre Dame’s 10-game winning streak at home.
(15) Miami 49, South Florida 21: Stephen Morris threw two TD passes before limping off with an ankle injury and Duke Johnson scored a TD in his eighth consecutive game, helping the Hurricanes (4-0) roll past the Bulls (0-4) in Tampa, Fla.
(20) Florida 24, Kentucky 7: Matt Jones rushed for 176 yards and a TD and Tyler Murphy threw for 156 yards and a score as the visiting Gators (3-1, 2-0 SEC) beat the Wildcats (1-3, 0-1) for the 27th straight time.