This Saturday’s fifth annual Red’s Rendezvous is stacking up to be a major fly-fishing event with high-profile experts who are attracting anglers from far and wide for clinics, competition and participation.
Here’s a summary of what’s going on outdoors at the Rendezvous:
• Pacific Northwest Fly Casting Championship, with proceeds going to the Yakima Kid’s Fish-in Event.
• Dry Line and Dry Fly Steelhead Fishing with Spey Rods by Brian Silvey.
• Switch Rod Casting seminar by George Cook.
• Guide Style Nymph Fishing Strategies by the Reds Fly Shop Staff.
• Steelhead Fishing for NEWBIES by Steve Joyce.
• European Style Nymph Fishing – on the river – by Russell Miller of Team USA Fly Fishing.
• Double-Haul Fly Casting by the Reds Fly Shop Staff.
The event also features raffles for top-flight Sage rods, Putt-Putt fly casting challenges for prizes, a Youth BB Gun Shooting Range and horseback trips.
Indoor sessions also are highlighted by the International Fly Fishing Film Festival featuring four films with showings at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
This is the same film festival that came to Spokane’s Bing Crosby Theater last week. One of the popular flicks features British Columbia steelheading guide April Vokey.
One indoor session that’s not to be missed is “strategies for do-it-yourself anglers fishing for big trout on Eastern Washington Lakes,” by George Cook, a rep for Sage Rods and guide at Isaaks Ranch lakes in the Columbia Basin.
Guides will present programs on their favorite destinations, such as:
• Upper Missouri: Land of Giants! by Mike Agee.
• Fly Fishing Mecca: Sounds like Christmas Island, by Jon Covich.
• Ascension Bay Flats Fishing, by Joe Rotter.
Fly tying demonstrations will be going on all day.
Info: (509) 933-2300, redsflyshop.com.