A caller reported seeing a dog in the Spokane River near the 11500 block of East Upriver Drive on Wednesday afternoon, but no animal was found by rescuers.
“They thought they saw a yellow Lab, stranded,” said Spokane Valley Fire Department Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. “We put crews in the water, searching. The only thing that was found was a log with no bark on it. It was yellow.”
Other calls from April 10-16:
April 10: Cooking oil on top of a stove caught fire in the 8600 block of East Euclid, causing minor damage.
A small grass fire was reported at 2820 N. Cherry.
April 11: A large bonfire was reported at a party in the 2800 block of North Greenridge Drive. Firefighters put out the blaze.
An abandoned campfire was reported near the Centennial Trail near Mirabeau Parkway.
April 12: A discarded cigarette caused a fire in landscaping bark at 12213 E. Broadway Ave.
Sunday: A contractor installing a sewer line in the 200 block of South Billy Jack Court hit a natural gas line.
Monday: An oven fire caused minor damage to a home in the 13300 block of East Mission.
A heating pad caused the bedding in a parked RV to catch fire in the 1300 block of North Herald Road.
A brush fire was reported on Flora Pit Road off Sullivan Road.
April 15: A cigarette caused a fire in landscaping bark outside the Valley Mall IHOP.
By the numbers: Firefighters responded to 248 calls, including 188 emergency medical services calls. The calls also included eight illegal yard waste fires, two illegal burn-barrel fires, 10 car accidents, three water main breaks, two children accidentally locked inside cars and one person stuck in an elevator.