Spokane police will continue their free giveaway of anti-theft “club” devices as part of the National Night Out with law enforcement event Tuesday.
The clubs will be available to eligible car owners at the downtown event, taking place on Wall Street between Riverside and Main avenues, between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., according to a news release from the police department. Those interested must show driver’s license and registration for one of the following vehicle models, identified as those most susceptible to theft:
• Honda Civic and Accord, model years 1983 through 2005
• Toyota Camry, model years 1984 through 2005
• Subaru Impreza, model years 1992 through 2005
• Jeep Cherokee, model years 1985 through 2000
• Ford Explorer, model years 1990 through 2005
• Dodge Caravan, model years 1985 through 2010
• Plymouth Voyager, model years 1985 through 2010
• Ford Escort, model years 1990 through 2000
• Subaru Legacy, model years 1990 through 2005
• Nissan Sentra, model years 1985 through 2000
• Toyota Pickup, model years 1984 through 2000
Officers will also be handing out the devices at other events around town. To see if there’s an event planned in your area, call your local C.O.P.S. location. A listing of contact information can be found here.
The giveaway was made possible by a state grant awarded to the department to combat vehicle theft. Spokane ranked 7th in the nation in the rate of motor vehicle theft in 2013, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau.