Arrow-right Camera


In Brief: Man in jail after allegedly assaulting girlfriend, son

Sat., Aug. 2, 2014

A man accused of assaulting his girlfriend and intentionally dropping his 3-month-old son on his head is in the Spokane County Jail facing charges of domestic violence assault, obstructing a law enforcement officer and first-degree assault of a child.

The infant had a fractured skull and bleeding in his brain, according to court documents. Sean A. Coker, 36, denied hitting his girlfriend and told police he was holding the boy when she assaulted him, causing him to drop the boy, court documents say.

Police were called to a home on Vine Street in Cheney Thursday afternoon. Coker fled the home when police arrived but was arrested after a short foot pursuit. The alleged victim told police that Coker had hit her several times and bit her twice. Several red marks and two bite marks were visible on her body, according to court documents.

She also told police that Coker had picked up their son by his feet and dangled him over his left shoulder before dropping the infant on his head. The doctor who examined the infant told police that his injuries matched the victim’s story, court documents say.

One killed, two injured in Deer Park crash

A Deer Park woman was killed Friday afternoon in a crash in Deer Park on U.S. Highway 395.

Myrna R. Brison, 81, was westbound crossing U.S. 395 at West H Street about 4:30 p.m. when her 2006 Chevy Equinox was struck by a southbound Ford pickup, the Washington State Patrol reported.

The pickup was driven by Edward R. Buchanan, 51, of Spokane Valley. He and his passenger, Matthew E. Forsman, 49, of Spokane, were injured and taken to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, WSP said. The hospital said the men were not at the hospital late Friday.

WSP said Brison failed to yield the right-of-way.

Man collapses, dies near Mission Park playground

A section of Mission Park near the playground equipment was blocked off for several hours Friday evening as Spokane Police investigated the death of a man who collapsed just after 4 p.m.

Witnesses told police that the man was walking with friends when he suddenly collapsed. Two bystanders attempted CPR without success, said police spokeswoman Monique Cotton. Paramedics were also unable to revive the man, who was in his early 30s.

“It does not appear to be suspicious in nature,” said Cotton of the man’s death.


There are two comments on this story »