Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Body shop owner presumed drowned

The longtime owner of a Post Falls auto body shop is believed to have drowned in Lake Coeur d’Alene on Saturday evening after he jumped from a boat at Stevens Point, just south of Tubbs Point, the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said.

Gary Scott “Scotty” Shawver, 57, went into the water after an item that fell from the boat. He was not wearing a life jacket, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Shawver owned Body by Scotty, which hosted a popular block party for 18 years.

Divers had not yet recovered his body Sunday evening. The water is 130 to 140 feet deep there.

Trent Avenue crash leaves one dead

A Newman Lake man died Sunday morning when his car collided with a tractor-trailer truck on Trent Avenue east of Spokane.

John R. Polignoni, 58, was killed in the accident shortly after 10 a.m., the Washington State Patrol said. His 1998 Ford Escape was eastbound near North Lynden Road when it crossed the centerline and struck a 2006 Peterbilt driven by John R. Marrow, 62, of Loon Lake, police said. Marrow was uninjured.

The accident was due to an unsafe lane change, police said.

YouTube rant post results in arrest

A California man with a large swastika tattoo on his chest is facing a battery charge in North Idaho following a video posted on YouTube.

The Coeur d’Alene Press reports that police in Coeur d’Alene arrested 41-year-old Gary Edwin Dixon, of Victorville, California, on Saturday after seeing the YouTube video posted on Wednesday.

Police say the video titled “Crazy guy at Texas Roadhouse” shows a shirtless Dixon raging at another man and his family in a parking lot as they leave a restaurant.

Dixon was booked into the Kootenai County Jail and released the same day on $300 bond. The jail roster lists Dixon as currently living in Post Falls.

Northern Idaho has a history of white supremacy groups but Dixon says he has no ties.

Hiker rescued from Snoqualmie Pass

SNOQUALMIE PASS, Wash. – An injured hiker who fell Saturday afternoon near the Alpental ski area near Snoqualmie Pass was rescued Sunday morning.

The King County Sheriff’s Office says the hiker spent the night at the pass and was rescued by a sheriff’s rescue helicopter.

The Seattle Times reported the hiker was taken to Harborview Medical Center with unknown injuries.

Man saved after boat catches fire

SEATTLE – The Coast Guard said Sunday it rescued a severely hypothermic man clinging to his partially submerged life raft off Washington’s northwestern tip after his boat caught fire and he abandoned it.

The man had been on the raft for nearly an hour when an agency helicopter hoisted him up around noon and transported him to a hospital. Petty Officer 3rd Class Katelyn Shearer said she didn’t know his condition, but he was able to walk into the facility.

The agency released a photo showing the 25-foot vessel engulfed in flames after its engine caught fire 3 miles north of Neah Bay. It was not yet known what caused the fire on the boat, which split in half and sank.

The signal from the man’s handheld radio helped rescuers find him.


Top stories in Idaho

Second man pleads guilty to North Idaho road rage murder

UPDATED: 7:01 p.m.

An Idaho man pleaded guilty Monday to murder and robbery in the killing of a man that was sparked by road rage in 2016. Justin Roy Booth now faces life in prison for the killing of William “Bo” Kirk, an X-ray technician once described by his son as “the ultimate family man.”