From our archives, 100 years ago
About 200 people attended the ceremonial laying of the cornerstone of the new Whitworth College building three miles north of the city limits. Whitworth had moved its campus from Tacoma to Spokane after it received a grant of land.
Gov. Ernest Lister canceled at the last minute, so the keynote speech was given by Washington State College President E.A. Bryan. Bryan noted that the new college would advance the standard of education in the region and he bemoaned the fact that the state did not provide more funds to support the colleges and universities of Washington.
The new Whitworth building, which was made of red brick with a green tile roof, would contain classrooms and the girl’s dormitory.
As part of the ceremony, official documents were placed in the cornerstone, “followed by the pouring on of corn, wine, oil and water.” The stone was then put in place by the contractor.
From the demographics beat: The Spokesman-Review noted a significant population trend in Spokane. Voter registration rolls showed that more Spokane voters lived north of the river than south of the river.
The city consisted of five wards, three south and two north. However, by 1914 the two north wards combined had more voters than the three south wards.