Voices


Hazardous lanterns spotted in sky in Liberty Lake

There was fire in the sky this week in Spokane Valley, but it was of the floating sky lantern variety. People were reportedly releasing the lanterns, which include a small candle, in the 12500 block of East Third Avenue Sunday.

No fire was caused by the lanterns, but there is no way to tell where they will land and what will happen, said Spokane Valley Fire Department Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. “They fall under the same category as fireworks, as an open flame,” he said. “If it was to start a fire it would be charged as a crime.”

Other calls from Jan. 23-29.

Jan. 25: The Northwest Pea and Bean Co. reported a small electrical panel fire in a grain elevator in the 6100 block of East Desmet.

Sunday: A woman was locked out of her apartment in the 24900 block of East Spotted Owl Lane after she went outside to sweep her balcony and her young child locked the door.

By the numbers: Firefighters responded to 217 calls, including 175 emergency medical services calls. The calls also included a chimney fire, barbecue fire, Dumpster fire and 18 car accidents.



Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile