In brief: Deadly fertilizer truck crash closes U.S. 95 for hours
A commercial vehicle accident spilled 500 gallons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and killed the driver on U.S. Highway 95 near Lake Cocolalla in Idaho on Saturday.
The highway was closed for nearly seven hours after the 1 p.m. crash. The driver, identified as 62-year-old John M. Moody, of Peck, Idaho, drifted off the roadway as he drove north, according to the Idaho State Police. His tractor-trailer overturned, causing the spill of liquid fertilizer.
Henderson says he won’t seek sixth term in House
Five-term Idaho Rep. Frank Henderson, R-Post Falls, who is 91, announced Saturday that he won’t seek a sixth term in the upcoming elections and instead will endorse North Idaho businessman John Chambers, 59, a semiretired executive at Ground Force Manufacturing, to succeed him in office. Chambers filled in as a substitute for Henderson for the first few weeks of this year’s legislative session after Henderson broke his hip during a vacation mishap in Hawaii.
Henderson is a former Kootenai County commissioner and mayor of Post Falls who’s had a long career in public service; he’s also a retired marketing executive and newspaper publisher and a World War II Army veteran. Henderson’s wife, Betty Ann, serves on the Post Falls City Council.
Henderson is Idaho’s oldest state lawmaker.
Suspect in New Year’s Eve nightclub fire arrested
SEATTLE – A 30-year-old man suspected of starting a fire at a crowded Seattle nightclub on New Year’s Eve has been arrested, police said Saturday.
The man was found near Seattle heading to the airport, police said in a news release.
Seattle police Detective Mark Jamieson told the Associated Press the man has been identified as Musab Mohamed Masmari. The detective didn’t provide further details.
Public records show Masmari has lived in Seattle for the past three years.
There were 750 people celebrating the holiday in the nightclub Neighbours when an arsonist poured gasoline on a carpeted stairway and set it ablaze. A U.S. Army staff sergeant and an Air Force member quickly put out the fire before it spread. The club’s sprinkler system activated, and no one was hurt.