February 11, 2014 in City

Firefighters douse two Spokane Valley garage blazes

From staff reports
 
Spokane Valley Fire Department photo

Spokane Valley firefighters tackle one of two garage fires that broke out early Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014. One of the people living at 13716 E. Valleyway Ave. was alerted to the fire by the sound of breaking glass coming from the garage, the Spokane Valley Fire Department said.
(Full-size photo)

A pair of garage fires in Spokane Valley early Tuesday caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage and has two families staying elsewhere while investigators assess damages.

The first fire broke out at 14807 E. 32nd Ave. shortly after 1 a.m., according to a Spokane Valley Fire Department news release. Faulty wiring in the home’s breezeway sparked the blaze between the house and a separate garage. No injuries were reported and firefighters extinguished the flames within 10 minutes, according to the news release.

Damages could be more than $20,000 from the fire, according to investigators. The home had working smoke alarms and was insured, according to the news release.

Another garage fire was reported around 3:15 a.m. as crews were returning from the previous incident, the department reported. An attached garage at 13716 E. Valleyway Ave. was reported on fire by a neighbor. A man living there told firefighters he heard glass breaking in the garage and went out to check the source of the noise when he saw smoke and flames.

The man, his wife and a dog were able to escape the fire safely, according to the news release. Damages of more than $50,000 are anticipated, and the address was insured, the department said.

Housing assistance was offered by the Red Cross, but occupants at both addresses had places to stay, according to the news release.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email