February 27, 2014 in Letters, Opinion

Pakootas is the answer

 

Listen up! There is a great alternative to Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers. He is Joseph (Joe) Pakootas (puh-KOE-tuss). Many newspaper letters voice disappointment with Rodgers’ votes on food stamps, unemployment benefits, corporate welfare and more. She consistently represents the wealthy top 10 percent, leaving out the important interests of 90 percent of the public. We can change this picture.

Pakootas would be the state’s first Native American congressman. He is a proven leader in Eastern Washington, as former chairman of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation, and a successful businessman. As chief executive officer, he managed a $10 million turnaround for the tribes. He has focused on sustainable business enterprises. He received the state’s top minority business award from the University of Washington.

Pakootas, at 56, has for years coached sports in his community. He has an MBA from UW. He led cleanup of Canadian mining heavy metals in the Columbia River and Lake Roosevelt. Among his goals are protecting waters of our area, strengthening employment and developing programs for children in need.

Are you registered to vote? If you’ve moved, you may need to re-register. Be ready to mark your ballot for Joe Pakootas in November.

Roz Luther

Spokane

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus