A Nordstrom employee died Friday after falling from a ladder while doing maintenance inside the store in downtown Spokane.
Paul M. Inc, 52, died from multiple fractures to his head, according to the Spokane County Medical Examiner. Inc also sustained a contact electrical burn to his left wrist. His death has been ruled accidental.
Spokane police officers who originally responded to the fall thought he’d been electrocuted.
The Washington Department of Labor and Industries is investigating the incident.
Nordstrom closed Friday while authorities investigated the incident. Inc, who has worked for the company since 2001, was doing maintenance when he fell.
Store employees described Inc as sincere and nice, said Tara Darrow, a Nordstrom spokeswoman. People enjoyed working with him and will miss him.
The store is expected to reopen Saturday. “Our hope is to not only serve our customers, but also to bring our employees together to comfort each other. We will have grief counselors on site for employees,” Darrow said.
River Park Square, where Nordstrom is located, is an affiliate of Cowles Co., the company that owns The Spokesman-Review.
There are 28 comments on this story »